New NAUI Course Director in Tokyo area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Some of you already know, but I’d like to officially announce that I have attained the rank of NAUI Course Director this summer.

On the road to this long-term goal, I have a lot of folks to thank for their support and guidance:
- My family
- The DDT leadership team
- Doug at Reef Encounters in Okinawa
- NAUI Pacific Rim Services
- NAUI Worldwide

What does this mean for Discovery Divers Tokyo?
Our Dive master training programs have been very active for years, and one of my goals for DDT has always been to become more involved in Instructor-level training. We plan to continue our commitment to creating quality dive professionals using mentoring-style instructional “internships”.

What does this mean for me?
This is actually an interesting question. In terms of professional training, I’m just about where I set out to be; NAUI Technical instructor and NAUI Recreational Course Director. I’d definitely like to increase our technical instruction in DDT in general to moderate depths at, or just beyond recreational depths. I think this is a very sensible and practical range for accomplished recreational divers. I’d also perhaps like to increase the depths I can teach to.

For my personal diving, I’d love to visit some exotic places I’ve not been to before, visit more wrecks and sea monsters. As a long-term goal, I’m open to transitioning to a rebreather once that technology becomes more main stream.

The rest of this year:
We had a lot of island trips this year. For the fall, we’ll also be adding daytrips and some weekends to more “local” Izu peninsula destinations. We’ve lost a lot of dive leaders to the movement of the expat population, but have more dive leaders in training, and others are joining all the time.

The BBQ grill will always be in service at the Izu dive events, I’ll see you at the grill; keep the chuhai flowing…

Looking ahead to the late fall and early winter:
We’ll be transitioning to dry suits at some point as the year winds down. I’ll be placing an order again this year from Whites for those interested in the excellent Fusion suit that we’ve had so much luck with.

I look forward to the smaller crowds and reduced traffic that the fall brings.

See you all on the beach…

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom