New mom needs dive certification advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Update: thank you everyone for your advice and answers to my questions. I appreciate all your feedback.

Hello everyone,

I am a new mom (6 months) and am planning on having more kids, but I want to start diving so badly! I am not certified yet, but my mom just got hers and has no one to dive with. I need advice on whether you think it'd be okay for me to get certified or should I wait? For each baby I'd have to take a year off because of the nitrogen build up that comes with diving. Do you think it would be okay for me to take a year off each time and get back into diving or would I have to take a refresher course each time? If that's the case would it be better for me to just wait until I'm done having kids?

Hello everyone,

I am a new mom (6 months) and am planning on having more kids, but I want to start diving so badly! I am not certified yet, but my mom just got hers and has no one to dive with. I need advice on whether you think it'd be okay for me to get certified or should I wait? For each baby I'd have to take a year off because of the nitrogen build up that comes with diving. Do you think it would be okay for me to take a year off each time and get back into diving or would I have to take a refresher course each time? If that's the case would it be better for me to just wait until I'm done having kids?
Welcome! I think you have already decided about diving during pregnancy, but if not here is the page that Marie references: Pregnancy and Diving - Divers Alert Network The Diver's Alert Network is the premier scuba safety organization in the US and are almost always the first resource for any question about safety.

But I believe you were asking about enjoyment. Plenty of people dive only once a year (called "vacation divers"), so you would be in good company. In easy conditions, if you can book a private divemaster (DM) I wouldn't think twice about going diving after that type of interval.

Personally, I enjoy cold-water diving locally, which means bulky wetsuits, extra weight, and divemasters that are pretty expensive. In that case, I definitely enjoy myself more when I dive every month or so. Everything is easier: getting the gear packed up, assembling it and checking it, lifting it, swimming, etc. I can concentrate more on what I'm there to see, and less on the prerequisites. If you have the time to do a refresher, I would recommend it, rather than taking the time on your vacation. Ditto aerobic and strength conditioning, no one wants to feel completely wiped out after their first day of diving in a long time.

Hope you have some very enjoyable dives, and congratulations on your kids!

Welcome! I think you have already decided about diving during pregnancy, but if not here is the page that Marie references: Pregnancy and Diving - Divers Alert Network The Diver's Alert Network is the premier scuba safety organization in the US and are almost always the first resource for any question about safety.

But I believe you were asking about enjoyment. Plenty of people dive only once a year (called "vacation divers"), so you would be in good company. In easy conditions, if you can book a private divemaster (DM) I wouldn't think twice about going diving after that type of interval.

Personally, I enjoy cold-water diving locally, which means bulky wetsuits, extra weight, and divemasters that are pretty expensive. In that case, I definitely enjoy myself more when I dive every month or so. Everything is easier: getting the gear packed up, assembling it and checking it, lifting it, swimming, etc. I can concentrate more on what I'm there to see, and less on the prerequisites. If you have the time to do a refresher, I would recommend it, rather than taking the time on your vacation. Ditto aerobic and strength conditioning, no one wants to feel completely wiped out after their first day of diving in the a long time.

Hope you have some very enjoyable dives, and congratulations on your kids!
Thank you so much!!

The issue isn't being a new mom, the issue is being a mom-to-be or even trying to be -a mom. See DAN's article here.

The issue isn't being a new mom, the issue is being a mom-to-be or even trying to be -a mom. See DAN's article here.
I have no intentions of diving while pregnant. But was wondering if it would be safe to dive between pregnancies. Or if I should wait until I am done having babies. I read the DAN article and it talks about diving while pregnant. Which is a Hard Pass for me.

I have no intentions of diving while pregnant. But was wondering if it would be safe to dive between pregnancies. Or if I should wait until I am done having babies. I read the DAN article and it talks about diving while pregnant. Which is a Hard Pass for me.
Read the whole article. It also talks about waiting at least 21 days after delivery before diving again. And suggests not diving if trying to conceive.

If you are observing the recommended interval between pregnancies for your body to recover well (never mind your sanity; don't count your babies before they're hatched. I get that you have a 6-month old so you've had a crash course in what's involved, but a colicky kid can drive a parent nuts), you may well have a good interval in which to dive. Depending on where you go to dive a house rules, and the interval, you might not have to have a refresher course, and even if you do, putting your life on hold too long can create a 'gratification delayed is gratification denied' dynamic.

Sounds like you're planning at least 3 kids today. If so, the logistics of diving while mothering 3 little kids may make this the least of your worries for awhile.

I suggest you go ahead and get certified (while non-pregnant, of course).

Your mom may think she has no one to dive with. But there are plenty of sources for buddies. Through the shop she got certified with. Going on a group trip through dive shop, regional dive groups on Facebook, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom