New MK10 & D300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sisidmarino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi. New to the forum. Chanced upon a brand new MK10 paired with a new D300. Price tags still attached and not a scratch on both items. Question is, being a new "vintage" would I need this looked at before I start using it? I'm planning to use this with glide 500 BCD with air 2. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

At a minimum, it needs a good inspection. I would not be surprised to find all is fine.

main issue is whether Scubapro was using polyurethane o-rings at that time. They tend to degrade badly over time and will surely leak. Otherwise, you may get lucky. Both HP and LP seats should be OK. Other o-ring materials may also be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call on the inspection. What are your thoughts on pairing it with a knight hawk or glide 500? Both BCD's have got air 2.

If you're going to inspect o-rings, might as well get a fresh service at the same time anyway. I'm way too 'anal' about my gear to dive 30 + year old o-rings though.

Pair it with any bcd and alternate you like.

I would not do much disassembly for such an inspection. Defective o-ring tend to leak under pressure or vacuum. And when they do fail, it usually starts as a small leak. But, if I were going on a dive trip, I would take a spare set just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are two of my favorite regulators. I would connect it to a tank and see if anything leaks, also do a vacuum test on the 2nd stage and check the IP stability. You might get lucky. If it were mine I would be tempted to rebuild it, but that's because I have the parts and I do it myself.

If you do need to get it rebuilt, please find someone that won't destroy a really nice reg set. That means finding a tech that can remove the old HP piston o-ring without scratching the journal that it sits in. It also means finding someone that is familiar with the D series and knows how to get them tuned correctly. You're in for a real treat once they're working well.

Those are two of my favorite regulators. ...

If you do need to get it rebuilt, please find someone that won't destroy a really nice reg set. That means finding a tech that can remove the old HP piston o-ring without scratching the journal that it sits in. It also means finding someone that is familiar with the D series and knows how to get them tuned correctly. You're in for a real treat once they're working well.

+1! My Mk 10 (purchased new in 1987) + D400 (purchased new c. 1994) remains my absolute favorite single hose regulator when rec diving in temperate water. Servicing a Mk 10 is straightforward and very easy. However, I will not attempt to service my D400, myself. Instead, so far I have allowed only one longtime Scubapro tech (my LDS owner, a longtime friend) service it. Incidentally, my D400 has been serviced only once, a couple of years ago.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Thanks for the inputs. Makes me excited about this chance find. It's pretty much brand new complete with price tags and price stickers albeit faded. Saltwater hasn't had a chance to touch this beauty yet. what level of tear down do I need a tech to do on this unit?

what did the leak test reveal?

Haven't brought it to a tech yet. Just wondering what level of service as this is basically a brand new reg set. Price tags, box and all.

Attachments

• IMG_5697.PNG
    IMG_5697.PNG
    420.7 KB · Views: 74

Back
Top Bottom