New Mistral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775

Contributor
Reaction score
FYI, Aqualung is offering a new double hose reg. They call it the Mistral. However, this is a two stage and very unlike the old version in most respects. Pictures and description on the Diveinn website.

http://www.scubastore.com/eng/index.asp

As you can see, the regulator assembly consists of a Titan first stage attached to a small second stage box. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has hands on experience with this new bubble blower.

Kinda old news. Some of us have used them. I briefly used one in a pool. It is no match for a Royal AquaMaster but then not much is. In fact, the old Mistral probably breaths better as well. Another problem is the huge floaty hoses. All in all they would have done better to give us the real thing, a AquaMaster but with lp and hp ports, of course my AquaMasters have those.

I tend to agree with your comment on the RA. It would be nice if the RA were reintroduced with a downstream valve lever which is more easily adjustable, and the HP block redesigned to allow ports with modern connections. "Old news", hmmm. I wonder if someone can direct me to a relevant thread on this board. I'd like to know more, technically.

Pesacador, hello, the majority of "vintage" and "double hose" divers post on two boards not associated with this forum. The Mistral has been discussed numerous times on those two forums.

http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/index.cgi

and

http://vintagedoublehose.com/forum/index.php?sid=bc08271a98465d9985cb3b507c582cae

These are the real deal where you find everything from odd old single hoses and old double hoses, parts, service, advice, friends, double hose divers, vintage divers and even vintage tech divers. Join up to both, both are friendly and will welcome you. N

pescador775:
FYI, Aqualung is offering a new double hose reg. They call it the Mistral. However, this is a two stage and very unlike the old version in most respects. Pictures and description on the Diveinn website.

http://www.scubastore.com/eng/index.asp

As you can see, the regulator assembly consists of a Titan first stage attached to a small second stage box. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has hands on experience with this new bubble blower.
You're correct - this is a jury-rigged Titan.
  • It suffers the same WOB problems that tended to plague double-hose rigs of old - hard breathing little sucker in the wrong position.
  • It's noisy - the air passing though the hoses is loud.
  • Side-to-side head movement is pretty seriously restricted.
  • The cold water kit maybe a good idea but it's also a fustercluck.
All-in-all, a cute toy and a semi-fun trip down memory lane but not a serious tool. My trial run never made it past the pool stage.

reefraff:
You're correct - this is a jury-rigged Titan.
  • It suffers the same WOB problems that tended to plague double-hose rigs of old - hard breathing little sucker in the wrong position.
  • It's noisy - the air passing though the hoses is loud.
  • Side-to-side head movement is pretty seriously restricted.
  • The cold water kit maybe a good idea but it's also a fustercluck.
All-in-all, a cute toy and a semi-fun trip down memory lane but not a serious tool. My trial run never made it past the pool stage.

Hmmm, the new Mistral, from my short pool tests does no breath as easy as a Royal Aquamaster but was slightly less impacted by water position. That said I hate to tell you this but I am pretty sure a good Royal, well tuned, can breath plenty easy, on a very recent trip we had a number of double hose divers at 195 feet. This hard breathing thing has reached the point of urban legend. The fact is a Royal or even a DA AquaMaster perform more than adequate for any sport diving mission.

Noisy?, nope, quiter and espcially quieter because the bubbles are behind you and not rolling past your ears.

A Royal or DA does not need a cold water kit even for ice diving.

I agree the new Mistral was a poor attempt to producev a double hose and instead it whimpers in it's bag at the mere mention of AquaMaster! If you want to dive double hose, get the real thing.

Did you know that using the mouthpiece of a double hose you can somewhat talk underwater? Did you know that the hoeses are in fact not especially restrictive once you adjust to them. Did you know that the mouthpiece itself is virtually weightless underwater thus not tiring to your jaw and mouth. N

I made a dive to 70 feet on Wednesday. I was using twin 38's and a R Aquamaster. The mix was 36%. Inhalation on a double hose is only slightly more difficult when head down and about the same as a well tuned single hose when head up. Exhalation (underwater) from the twin hose is always easier regardless. I hadn't dived a double hose in 5 years but found the arrangement as comfortable and efficient as ever. Among 2 hose vets it is well known that a twin tank arrangement with the box positioned below the manifold makes breathing about 25% easier. Also, the use of thin tanks, as opposed to 8 inch monsters, knocks off another 25% from inhalation effort. I'm pumping NITROX nowadays and it made sense to use mix in the Royal-twin tank rig. Funny thing, I believe first time 2 hose users might find this comforting. The slight air "starvation" feeling from using the unfamilar 2 hose the first time would probably not occur with NITROX. Not just psychology but it seems that the double hose cycling was made for NITROX.

The Royal uses a first stage similar to that of the Conshelf which was originally advertised as using the "superb Royal Aquamaster first stage". It really is a simple and enduring design. Bumping the intermediate pressure up about 10 psi and paying careful attention to the soft parts, particularly the hoses, non return valves and the flutter valve, help performance and safety.

Funny, that shirt. When the twin hose Mistral was phased out in the late 60's, followed by the Aquamaster a few years later, the conventional wisdom was that double hose regs would henceforth be valued on its scrap metal value. Now, some 30+ years later, divers who were not alive then are showing interest in these devices for their cache or cult value. At that time, I never dreamed of the internet and would not have even understood what was to come even if it were explained to me. Now, this new technology has infiltrated the nooks and crannies of our minds making it possible to buy, sell and popularize these old, mellow regulators among a newly risen group of aficionados. Perhaps because of my age I have always seen the double hose as a working tool, not a work of art. Yet, who can deny the luster surrounding that big hunk of chrome brass. If one looks hard enough, the image that faintly reflects back to the eye seems vagely familiar, like deja vu.

I looked at the Dan and Linda Website. There is a thread which presents some diagrams published by Bill Barada in 1962 which purport to show the relevant and respective breathing characteristics the two main types of reg, the single and double hose. Unfortunately, noone has stepped in to update this oversimplified theory. Bill did not take into account that the breathing response of the 2 hose in respect to the relative position of the mouthpiece to the regulator body, AS WELL AS the position of the diver's chest relative to the box. For example, when the diver is vertical, the mouthpiece is higher than the box (and the chest). In this instance, the vacuum required to operate the diaphragm is zero since there is already positive pressure at the mouthpiece. If one doubts, the test is to remove the mouthpiece and observe the air gurgling out. So, the breathing effort in vertical is not "neutral",and as the breathing effort in the inverted position is the reverse, and also not "neutral" as Barada suggested so many years ago.

Continuing on some previous remarks. The double hose is designed to work best when the regulator box presses against the divers back. This is accomplished by using a twin tank set with tanks no larger than 6.75 inches diameter, and NO BACKPACK. The Navy 5 point harness system is the way to go. If a pack is used, then the tanks should be no larger than 5.5 inches in diameter. Tanks in that size range can be used to make doubles and triples but the doubles work best. Unfortunately, there is no standard manifold or bands which allow the tighter spacing which these tanks could afford. They could be custom made but the logical configuration for the tanks would be twin 70's or twin 38's in their various permutations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom