New Member with a cool video of me almost dying!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bending and crimping your HP hose would have stopped the bubbles, but everyone is correct, it was not an emergency. I'm glad it worked out, but a controlled ascent would have made for a nicer video.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am glad the video will help educate. We all did certainly debrief, and talk about what was done right and wrong.

As per having to go to my buddies air, I did that because I sucked in water through my regulator and couldn't get air to come through the line. The same thing replicated later when I grabbed my regulator again about a minute later and about 25 feet closer to surface, no air. It was to dangerous to surface directly above because of heavy boat and ocean liner traffic. Again thanks for the suggestions, advice, knowledge and good wishes, it was really appreciated. I definitely wasn't expecting this to happen and it really made me revaluate emergency procedures under water.

and couldn't get air to come through the line. The same thing replicated later when I grabbed my regulator again about a minute later and about 25 feet closer to surface, no air.
I'd have that checked since there seems to be something mechanically wrong with your regulator in that case. 30 minutes into a severed HP hose this Scubatoys employee was still happily breathing - in their pool. Cutting a Divers Hose

Did anybody put a gauge on your tank back at the surface? I'd be curious to see what was left.

Wow, I need to use this video in my lectures.....

1. Why longhouse/primary donate works
2. Why Inflator octopuses suck
3. S drills are important
4. Why we check donators SPG
5. Situational awareness

Certainly a bit traumatic and could have ended far worse. You survived to dive another day. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea how, after watching that video of a rescue diver and his buddies, you could say ANYTHING worked? It looked like a total, unnecessary cluster to me.

The diver should have just switched to his secondary if his primary was giving him water - but i doubt that he had two simultaneous. independent failures and the fact of the mater was that the bubbles freaked him out and he didn't trust his regulator and the leak at the spool, meant that the gage showed almost zero air pressure.

They were sharing a single second stage when they had alternates, they shared air between 3 people, they did NOTHING to move down the line, and it looked like the victim must have filled his BC, and dragged the whole line toward the surface and then finally let go from a depth of 10 ft and then shot to the surface.

To be honest, it is hard for me to believe that video is authentic.

30 minutes into a severed HP hose this Scubatoys employee was still happily breathing - in their pool. Cutting a Divers Hose

The post above made this thread very beneficial for me. I got some good laughs from the ScubaToys video, as well as a memorable way to see that in the event of a hose issue, there is time to handle it calmly. Thank you so much.

OP, I'm glad you're okay. Sorry the lesson had to be scary, but hopefully it equips you better for the future.

There is alot to be learned from this experience, i hope you realise that.

-bubbles don't mean panic or rapid air loss, the amount of bubbles coming from your gauge is nothing like a purged or free flowing regulator
-the first guy you went to donated from his mouth despite that being his short hose
-it seemed as though after seeing the bubbles panic ensued and everything was just a mess.

I have no idea how, after watching that video of a rescue diver and his buddies, you could say ANYTHING worked? It looked like a total, unnecessary cluster to me.

maybe he was going to use it as an example of why that other stuff didn't work and why his 5 points are important... which i agree with. This video is excellent in illustrating what not to do

I would like to know what for 1st stage you were using. Seems to me a first that fails to deliver to a second with that failure is one to be avoided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom