New Member with a cool video of me almost dying!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D51208

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I'm a new member here from Upstate NY. I am a PADI rescue diver. Here is the video as promised. The hose on my gauge blew off and I ran out of air very quickly! Thanks to the buddy system I didn't have to do an emergency ascent. I've got a couple of other cool videos of some shipwrecks in the St. Lawrence too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geu_ZuhHOLM

Glad everyone is ok.
From the looks of the video you were sharing air with one diver and then a third diver donates and then back to the original donor.
What was the reason for the back and forth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad everyone is ok.
From the looks of the video you were sharing air with one diver and then a third diver donates and then back to the original donor.
What was the reason for the back and forth?

Thanks, me too! The first regulator got knocked out of my mouth and my buddy was getting pulled away by the current so I brought him back. When I got the regulator from my other buddy I hadn't had air for a bit!

First and foremost, glad you made it up OK. A little bit of a cluster with regs being handed around, but you all stayed pretty calm. I would not have called it an uncontrolled ascent like the vide was entitled.

I am curious though, why not signal to your buddies that you have this problem, and start going up without sharing air until you need it? Since it was the HP hose that failed, it will not empty a tank anywhere near as fast as it would had it been a low pressure hose. The hole in the first stage for a HP hose is just a pin hole. Somewhere out there are some comparison charts on how long it takes to drain a tank from either the HP or the LP ports of a first stage.

Calm down.
It takes about 20 minutes to drain the air from a tank if the HP hose fails. there are lots of bubbles, as you show, but not a lot of air lost becasue of the flow-restrictions in both the first stage and in the HP hose itself.
You did need to surface, but you did not need to share air, and it was not an emergency.

Attachments

• equipmentfailure.jpg
    equipmentfailure.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 217
I personally would have kept the regs in my mouth and started ascending there's a lot of flailing about I know the current is strong and when something like that happensyou go into oh crap mode glad you all got out alive btw what wreck were you guys on

Wow, I need to use this video in my lectures.....

1. Why longhouse/primary donate works
2. Why Inflator octopuses suck
3. S drills are important
4. Why we check donators SPG
5. Situational awareness

Certainly a bit traumatic and could have ended far worse. You survived to dive another day. Thanks for posting.

That video was hard to watch...you went from a relatively minor problem (leaking HP hose) to a multi-faceted cluster F#$%K in seconds. The moral of the story is that a leaking HP hose is NOT an emergency and even if you think it is, you signal to a team member and you take the secondary regulator and begin a controlled, panic-free ascent.

Back
Top Bottom