New member, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, here's some cool stuff in 6 feet of water just a little over an hour out of the city.

Those little guys look familiar! I saw three seahorses on my first OW dive. I was expecting nothing at all but it was astonishing. Puffers, pipefish, and tons of crab too. In 7' in the silt, with some really big spider crabs down at 20'. This was south shore of Long Island.

You're in a great location for wrecks and history... short drive to Jersey and Great Lakes. Get yourself a drysuit and go explore!!!

Drysuit will come later, once I am comfortable with buoyancy control in a wetsuit (and I have some money). I am happy to go slowly. I have a good 7mm and hood and gloves so I will probably be fine into November.

Yeah, those big spider crabs. They seem to like rubble and "nasty" places. Then they raise their claws. I don't like them. But, spiders themselves are the only things I'm really paranoid about. Actually, I hate them. I don't like the idea of ever running into a shark, but I don't hate them.

Are they aggressive? Or just threatening when you get too close? Or do you just find them too spidery? I doubt they’d do much harm through a heavy exposure suit but that’s not really the issue - fighting with the wildlife isn’t exactly why I am learning to dive!

(I PM’ed you by the way. But I think I know the answer.)

I replied to your PM.
When you get close to them they (some of them, especially the big ones) quickly raise their claws. Don't think they can really do any harm to you, but yes they are "spidery"....yikes.
Actually, I recently found out that horseshoe crabs are (I think) actually a member of the Arachnids and are living fossils. Coming across a big one suddenly can be a little shocking, but I don't mind them as they don't LOOK spidery.

Saw a couple of 8" horseshoes gettin' busy in the shallows at the town beach earlier this summer. Ashamed to say I chickened out of telling the truth when my 5yr old asked me what they were doing. Amazing to think how much Earth has changed while they haven't.

I was down in Delaware years ago at Broadkill Beach (Del. Bay). The whole beach was covered with horseshoes. I think they are having a problem with lessening population down there.

Back
Top Bottom