New member, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Littorally Diving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I am as-yet uncertified student SDI OW diver just outside NYC learning to dive out in the Atlantic and Sound. I have two of four OW dives under my grossly overstuffed weight belt.

I enjoy long walks on rocky, barely-accessible beaches, murky green water with 3' visibility, and practicing buoyancy control inches above heavy silt sea floors while being tickled by massive angry crabs.

My wife is terrified of sharks and water any time it isn't frozen into cubes and dunked in tequila, so I will be looking for nearby buddies also interested in shallow wrecks, muck, and a bit of weekend exploration, all before the kids wake up (tide permitting).

Have learned a lot here through lurking already.

howdy and welcome from southeast Florida....divers will dive any where there is water.

Welcome from Nova Scotia (and from a Yonkers native). I do get back to the area for 7 weeks each summer and stay at Croton Point Park up the Hudson in Westchester. You simply must dive the enchanting shore waters of Connecticut. Much as you have described on your 1st 2 dives. Well, hey, you may get 12 feet depth, sand instead of mud, and a whopping FIVE feet viz.
On L.I. there are actually a few decent shore dives, especially toward the East end in Suffolk--IF you can find a decent LEGAL place to park. 2-3 "close" shore dives (inlets, etc.) and one ocean shore dive in Jersey--If you can stand the GSP traffic. Or, do a 12-15 hour day to R.I. or Northern Mass. (Rockport). Good luck down there.

Welcome! You should definitely check out the NYC Sea Gypsies...

We meet several evenings a month for educational, photographic and social events at various restaurants in New York, and we run an active dive schedule featuring local boat and shore diving.

We have several programs just for people like you, who want to get into local diving - check out the "Introduction to Northeast Diving" photos on the website. We do this both at Dutch Springs and in the ocean. The program is run by one of our members who is a tech instructor, and we pair new divers up with experienced mentors. Here are some videos of the intro to NE program, from this year and from a previous year...

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. We will be at Dutch Springs this Saturday for our annual Underwater Photography Workshop. The club is a great way to meet local divers and to make new friends and dive buddies.

The water gets a lot less murky once you get out to the wrecks!

Great stuff guys, thank you for the warm welcomes and particularly the local pointers!

Sea Gypsies looks like my kind of thing, once certified. I'm in the city every day. Doctor Mike, I'll PM you likely late Sept.

Well, hey, you may get 12 feet depth, sand instead of mud, and a whopping FIVE feet viz.

Paradise. CT is v easy for me as I live in southern Westchester. Easier than Long Island, and of course you can park a car there without causing a National Guard response.

You definitely don't need to be certified (or even join the club) to come to our meetings - although we would like you to join if you become a regular!

Next meeting is September 26th, lots of pretty dive photos: Meetings

Also, here's some cool stuff in 6 feet of water just a little over an hour out of the city.

Great stuff guys, thank you for the warm welcomes and particularly the local pointers!

Sea Gypsies looks like my kind of thing, once certified. I'm in the city every day. Doctor Mike, I'll PM you likely late Sept.

Paradise. CT is v easy for me as I live in southern Westchester. Easier than Long Island, and of course you can park a car there without causing a National Guard response.
Just curious as to where in S. Westchester? PM ("conversation") me if you like. But let me know here if you do as I rarely look at that.

Welcome to Scubaboard. Many NY Divers on this great forum.

Back
Top Bottom