New member. Greetings from West Central Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm here to get some serious info concerning working the local river cleanups. I began my diving life in 1975 with a YMCA course during High School. The vast majority of my diving in those days was in the Gulf of Mexico ranging from shore dives to offshore fishing spots. In the early 80's a buddy and I traveled to Key West for the first time to try Bug hunting. Got hooked on that and for many years made two trips a year for that purpose. 1987 decided to update my traing and did an advanced open water course and was introduced to the concept of using a BC. Up to that point we simply used a backpack and leg power to stay afloat. Bought a used BC and have used it ever since. In September 1990 was able to test the concept of expanding air as depth decreases and got a big dose of confidence. In a battle at the place I referred to as the "valley of the giant lobsters" 38 miles or so out of John's Pass I had the total sensory experience of sucking my tank dry at 110'. I had just netted my 4th big bug. At that point I decided ascending would be the thing to do. It's amazing how clear things become at that point. I had to slow down a bit to keep from over-running my bubbles and indeed got the air boost somewhere about half way up. The only time I was concerned was at about 20' down. I thought if I don't make it up what would my buddies on the boat do? Incredibly Icame up right at the back of the boat. 4 bugs/28lbs. A very nice haul. The 10 pounder is in my living room. In the early '90's I did a cavern course. You might not think diving in holes is much fun, but I assure you it is a wonderous experience. It's way cool to walk over to a pond and drop 60 feet and then into a cavern system. From topside no-one but divers have any clue what lies beneath their feet. I strongly recommend every diver take a cavern course. The training makes you a much safer diver. My current goal is to do some serious river bottom cleanup. I've always wondered if during the Coastal Cleanup if there was a team working under water. I've recently discovered a local group who is looking for a diver to help them in that respect. I may just get my wish. I would like to get some input on diving in gas/oil tainted waters and input on gators and especially Bull sharks as those buggers regularly cruise up the rivers from the gulf and after all, at least a couple of the attacks that inspired the book Jaws were most likely due to a Bull. Sorry for the long story but when I start writing words have a tendency to spill out of my brain onto my keyboard.

thanks for sharing....welcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom