New Melle, Anyone? this memorial day.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crunch35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im thinking about checking out the quarry this holiday. I havnt been yet anyone want to go?" Or does anyone have current vis status?

The wife and I are thinking about going this weekend to snorkel a bit (getting certified in June). We stopped by last weekend and looked the place over. Looks like fun. They said the visability then was around 15,-20'.

I emailed them this morning about current temp and viz. When I hear back, I will let you know?

I dove New Melle yesterday and found the visibility to be from 10-15 feet with bottom vis around 5-10. Temperature above the thermocline was around 65 with the being about 44.

I dove New Melle yesterday and found the visibility to be from 10-15 feet with bottom vis around 5-10. Temperature above the thermocline was around 65 with the being about 44.

I was there with jawisa yesterday and just to clarify a little bit. The vis at the normal bottom which is 35 ft is still in the 10 - 15ft range, it might be out to 20ft. There is one deep hole that goes to abotu 55 ft and the vis in tehre was only about 5 ft. The thermocline was at about 15 or 20 ft.

I may go out there on Sat for a couple of hours in the morning, but other than that my weekend is full with WORK....

Phil

I heard back from the fine folks at the Dive-Stop, the official word is viz around 15-20 and surface temp around 60. Sounds like we will be skin diving in a bit more than just our skin. :)

Hope to see you guys out there.

Weekend Report

So.. the rain kept us away Saturday, but we did get to snorkel at the Dive Stop on Sunday.

The surface temp was a bit chilly at first (they say low 60s, I had no gauges to verify), the look on my wifes face when that cold water first started trickling into her suit was priceless :) . But we were soon very comfortable in full 5mm and hood. The viz wasn't great, but we still managed to see lots of fish along the quarry walls. We met some new friends who patiently answered our barrage of newbie questions during a weather imposed surface interval. Most but not all of them were sporting dry suits for the temps deeper down.

We had a great time and are looking forward to plumbing the depths once we are certified. We got to put some of our new gear to the test outside of the pool and we learned a ton from our diver friends and through good old trial and error.

Until next time...

Weekend Report

So.. the rain kept us away Saturday, but we did get to snorkel at the Dive Stop on Sunday.

The surface temp was a bit chilly at first (they say low 60s, I had no gauges to verify), the look on my wifes face when that cold water first started trickling into her suit was priceless :) . But we were soon very comfortable in full 5mm and hood. The viz wasn't great, but we still managed to see lots of fish along the quarry walls. We met some new friends who patiently answered our barrage of newbie questions during a weather imposed surface interval. Most but not all of them were sporting dry suits for the temps deeper down.

We had a great time and are looking forward to plumbing the depths once we are certified. We got to put some of our new gear to the test outside of the pool and we learned a ton from our diver friends and through good old trial and error.

Until next time...

I was looking for ya on Sat, to bad I missed ya... Most (if not all) of the people that were out there on Sun were from my Dive club... I just had to work that day so I could not make it out... Glad that you guys had a good time. It only gets better from here...

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom