New Medical Release Every Year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had childhood asthma, so before getting my c-card in March, I needed my doctor to sign the release. I've only done 11 dives, so I have a question for you much more experienced divers...

Should I bring a fresh copy to my doctor during my yearly check up and have her sign it every year?

Even though I needed the form to get the c-card, so perhaps the charters should trust that I have a doctor's permission anyway, I've heard from posters on this forum that some charters may make you sign another medical form. If you answer "yes" you can't dive without a doctor's permission.

Does it make sense to already be armed with that form, dated less than a year from the current date? Or does the original form, dated back when you got your c-card suffice?

If dive industry expects documentation on childhood condition you know you no longer have, check no and dive.

Last edited:
Tough question. Personally I get my doc to sign a form certifying my sufficient health for diving every yr. with my annual physical. Actually I have been required to fill out medical forms at least 3 times with different operators. Some concerns are as follows:

1-Some operators may insist you see one of the local doctors which = missed dives (if you answer yes to anything). This has been known to happen even to divers with certification from their own doctor.

2-Most operators don't advertise that you have to "medically qualify" to dive with them till you are there (and have paid). This is a question you MUST ask in advance. preferably via email so you have a record of the response. I have hypertension and use a cpap for sleep apnea. A yr and a half ago I experienced an "unexpected" DCS hit. Since then I have had PFO surgery. I always check before I sign up.

Some thoughts I have on the subject. If I had a condition like asthma I would make sure my buddy knew about it just in case someone needed to save my life (apply inhaler or whatever).
For other conditions that would not need special treatment I would be tempted (allegedly ) to not say or admitt to anything. I use the approach of finding out their requirements in advance and if they have "silly rules" I pass and go elswhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom