new mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loco4scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

Just bought a Atomic Aquatics frameless mask. Now what do I need to do to it? I seem to remember something about toothpaste...? Any good suggestions on what I need to do before I use it?

Thanks,
Loco

Use ol fashioned paste toothpaste to clean the residue from the manufacturing process from the inside of the lenses. Soft scrub without bleach also works well. A drop or two on each lense and scrub, rinse and repeat til the glass squeaks. Then your defog solution of choice should be all that's needed. Just got a new backup mask last week and it took almost 20 minutes to get it where I wanted it. This is for most masks. I havce not heard of one yet that does not need a good scrubbing before use to keep it from fogging. If you don't clean it well no amount of defog will keep it clear. This should have been covered in your ow course. What did you do to your old one before using it?

I used 500PSI Mask Scrub and it worked really well on that mask. Two applications.

Jimlap,

I kinda remember the toothpaste thing, but haven't bought a new mask in 6 years. I was just checking to make sure that the ole way still works.

Thanks for the replies guys!!!

I use toothpaste on both sides. Use an old toothbrush to get in all the tight spots. I do it twice to remove all residue. Very cheap and effective.

Back
Top Bottom