New Mask Purchase Input?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 6 masks. I can only wear 2 of them. The other 4 were a result of buying them online and finding that they just don't fit properly. As far as I am concerned i will only buy a mask that I can physically try on. Another thing I have noticed that the higher priced masks do in fact feel better and the vision is superior. I would imagine that is a result of the glass and silicones used in the manufacturing process.

If the cheaper mask is for a back up then frameless is the way to go and maybe not so important that comfort and clarity is sub par. If it's your primary mask then I would wait and spend what it took to get the best mask that I possibly could. I mean after all why do we dive? To see all the amazing things there is to see down there.

Just my humble opinion.

@Ozwald
The mask I have now is an Aqualung, and I tried it on and it sealed great in the store, but the more I dive and snorkel the more I notice it leaks, and is frustrating. On my cenote dive just recently it was super annoying, and took away from the overall experience.

Also my current mask doesn't start leaking instantly, its typically during the middle to end of my dives. Also, couldn't the pressure at depth affect how the mask fits and when it would leak?

The ones I posted I haven't tried on, but the overall reviews seemed great.

@Ozwald - what mask are you using now, and what is different about them? I would assume the 4 you bought online you tried on when they arrived? Even buying with a LDS you would most likely not be able to return it if you took it on a trip and had issues?

The better (read more expensive) masks are probably going to fit better. One thing I like about the Cressi is it has swivel buckles, my Tusa Visualator does also. Before that I used an Aqualung Hawaii (Maui?) and it leaked when I made certain head movements that flexed the strap - mostly looking up. I don't have that problem with the Tusa.

Also the better the quality, the better the silicone used. Notice on the Cressi website that the Big Eye Evolution uses what they call Crystal Silicone - they're also in the $70/80 range retail:
This revolutionary mask is made from Cressi Crystal Silicone, a new material that offers extraordinary and unprecedented comfort. Not only has this new High Seal silicone been chosen, with its exceptional softness and comfort, but the entire design of the skirt has followed new rules which allow a point of contact between the mask and the face that has a very open angle.

Also the Big Eyes tend to be better for people with physically larger and wider faces. My buddy (who I got the Tusa from) doesn't have one. For him it leaked, for me it doesn't.

Silicone hardens over time also. Which partially explains why your Aqualung now leaks.

@diversteve - is the crystal silicone "high end" or low end ? I would assume high end since you said it was expensive.

Are there types of Silicone to "stay away" from?

@Ozwald
The mask I have now is an Aqualung, and I tried it on and it sealed great in the store, but the more I dive and snorkel the more I notice it leaks, and is frustrating. On my cenote dive just recently it was super annoying, and took away from the overall experience.

Also my current mask doesn't start leaking instantly, its typically during the middle to end of my dives. Also, couldn't the pressure at depth affect how the mask fits and when it would leak?

The ones I posted I haven't tried on, but the overall reviews seemed great.

@Ozwald - what mask are you using now, and what is different about them? I would assume the 4 you bought online you tried on when they arrived? Even buying with a LDS you would most likely not be able to return it if you took it on a trip and had issues?

It's good to try on a mask with either a reg mouth piece or snorkel in your mouth. This is often the reason a mask will seemingly fit in the shop but leak in the ocean. Too tight a mask strap will cause leaking. The only time my mask leaks is if I laugh or smile, dam you wrinkles.

A frameless mask would seem difficult to purge during a dive?

Why??

It's good to try on a mask with either a reg mouth piece or snorkel in your mouth. This is often the reason a mask will seemingly fit in the shop but leak in the ocean. Too tight a mask strap will cause leaking. The only time my mask leaks is if I laugh or smile, dam you wrinkles.

Good point. It changes the layout of your face.

I use a Hollis "frameless" as a backup and an Atomic "subframe" as my primary. I have some Poseidon masks and an older SP as well that I don't mind.

Just an FYI my LDS doesn't stock sh$t, none of the dive shops in my neck of the woods do. That's why I either have to buy these online or when I head down to wherever for some diving.

Because there is no frame? Probably seems silly but, I would think the mask would be less rigid and you couldnt put your hand against the top and push out easily?

I have never noticed this. I have used both.

I've used the Cressi Big-Eyes (black skirt) for years now. It fits my face perfectly (no leaks) and has a great field of view. I'd tried a couple of different Mares masks prior to going Cressi and in comparison the Mares single-lens masks gave me tunnel vision. I know I paid more than $30 for my Cressi 5 years ago, more like $90, but I'd buy it again in a second if I needed another or if the one I have goes kaput. YMMV.
C.

Back
Top Bottom