NEW M43 products for Nauticam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have attached photos of two new products for your Nauticam housings for M43 cameras. For those like me who have been using the Panasonic 45mm macro for some time now with the Nauticam 45 macro port a new 20mm extension ring which fits between the housing and the 45 macro port allows the port to be used with the new Olympus 60mm macro lens. The extension ring has a "push" lock which locks the port to the ring and then the ring mounts to the housing with the same solid locking system used with all Nauticam ports. The extension ring is $180.00 US and is a very cost effective and space saving choice for owners of the 45 macro port. I still use both lenses and find this extension ring to be my best alternative for a compact macro port system. A 30mm extension is also in stock for the 35mm macro port.​

Also from ZEN Underwater is a mounting ring for ZEN/Subal type III optical glass dome ports. This mounting ring allows me to mount the ZEN DP-100-S3 port for use with the Panasonic 8mm fisheye lens. The port has the same 100mm coated optical glass used in many of the ZEN DSLR ports for fisheye lenses. The port mount is $100.00 US and can be used in place of the Nauticam 4.33 inch or 3.5 inch acrylic Mini dome ports if you prefer optical glass to acrylic. The adapter could also be used with the 200mm ZEN port for things like split (over/under) images as well.

Phil Rudin

PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-300041.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-300048.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-300052.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-300055.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-300059.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-300065.jpg

Thanks Phil, very useful. Do you notice any difference in image quality between optical glass & acrylic domes?

Phil

The best answer to this question is that you will find excellent ports and not so good ports made from both glass and acrylic. The glass V. acrylic port debate has gone on for years, since way before digital and if you Google the subject you will find a great deal of information in support of both types of ports.

Phil Rudin

Tamas,

current cost for a E-PL5 is about $350.-$400.00 less than the E-M5 in the US. Every thing else, lenses, gears, ports, arms,strobes is equal for both cameras. The cost for an E-PL5 housing from Nauticam would be higher than the E-M5 housing because sales would be lower and cost is spread to cover R&D cost, look at Sony NEX-6, past E-PL housing from Nauticam to get the idea. The OMD E-M5 is a star in the U/W photo world and has great buzz, the E-PL5 not so much.

nudibranco,

This issue was addressed months ago and for several reasons it is not going to happen because of design issues and other factors. The ZEN/Subal type III DP-100 dome was used because it is wider in Dia. and won't vignette with the 8mm fisheye. These ports were designed for use with the Olympus housings and an upgrade is made by ZEN for use with the Olympus OMD E-M5 housing. Even with the Olympus housing the 8mm fisheye port had to have a re-design to fit the new Olympus port system for OMD.

Anyone like to comment on what has been added rather than what has not?

Phil Rudin

Tamas,

current cost for a E-PL5 is about $350.-$400.00 less than the E-M5 in the US. Every thing else, lenses, gears, ports, arms,strobes is equal for both cameras. The cost for an E-PL5 housing from Nauticam would be higher than the E-M5 housing because sales would be lower and cost is spread to cover R&D cost, look at Sony NEX-6, past E-PL housing from Nauticam to get the idea. The OMD E-M5 is a star in the U/W photo world and has great buzz, the E-PL5 not so much.

Regarding the R&D cost. As far as I can tell, the E-PL5 is identical to the E-PL3 except for two buttons that changed their shape - so the R&D here should be minimal...

BTW, As an owner of a NA-PL3 housing (having invested quite a few $$ in Nauticam products) I would appreciate the option of buying an upgrade kit to allow my housing to hold the E-PL5. Again, I believe this will be a change in the end effectors for these two buttons.

Cheers,

-Nir

Even with a discount from the original E-PL3 $1850.00 Nautican price the E-PL3 housing new is still about $300.00 more than the new E-M5 housing. One of the reasons the E-M5 housing is such a great housing value. If you add an upgrade path for E-PL3 housing owners to allow their housings to work with the E-PL5 you would have even fewer buyers for a new housing. I would E-mail Mr. Lei at Nauticam and ask if an upgrade has been considered by them. It was done for the NEX-5 to NEX5n for about $275.00 and could be user installed.

Phil Rudin

. I would E-mail Mr. Lei at Nauticam and ask if an upgrade has been considered by them. It was done for the NEX-5 to NEX5n for about $275.00 and could be user installed.

Phil Rudin

Thanks Phil!

I haven't seen many people shooting Pana GX1, still, the NA-GX1 housing costs only 1200$. Agreed with Prof, there is minimal research cost included (moving one button - no pressforms have to be redesigned).
Thus, I don't see any reason, why not to produce a housing for this popular camera. Practically sell the NA-EPL3 under a new name - maybe at a more competitive price tag, my limit is 1200bucks (like the gx1 housing).

Thanks for the idea, I asked if an upgrade kit is planned.

Even with a discount from the original E-PL3 $1850.00 Nautican price the E-PL3 housing new is still about $300.00 more than the new E-M5 housing. One of the reasons the E-M5 housing is such a great housing value. If you add an upgrade path for E-PL3 housing owners to allow their housings to work with the E-PL5 you would have even fewer buyers for a new housing. I would E-mail Mr. Lei at Nauticam and ask if an upgrade has been considered by them. It was done for the NEX-5 to NEX5n for about $275.00 and could be user installed.

Phil Rudin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom