• Canister light

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • Pistol Grip

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Lantern Grip

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can lights rock. You get heaps of lumen output, long run time and a goodman handle mountable product.

I dont really like lantern style lights due to the bulk.

Forget the talk of rec vs tec lights. A good light is a good light.

I personally wouldnt go for HID. LED is so much more robust and offers more features ( multi power modes low bat warning etc) although finding a LED that gives the beam you want can be a bit more difficult.

The advantage of LED lights is that they are durable. The bulbs last a very long time, and are less fragile than HID bulbs, so they tolerate the knocking around that's involved in diving very well.

The disadvantage is that it has so far proven difficult to get a really bright, focused beam on them. HIDs still knock them out of the water for penetration and focus.

You can get some very good buys on used canister lights, if you haunt the classifieds here and on the Deco Stop. People upgrade lights and sell their old ones, and as long as you avoid lights with Welch Allyn bulbs, you're likely to get something that will work fine. I bought a Salvo 21W 9 amp-hour light recently for $600.

On the other hand, the suggestion to buy a high quality backup light as a first light is not a bad one. There are any number of good ones -- the Photon Torpedo with the LED upgrade is one. I have a Salvo Rat, Jr., which is another very nice light (although Salvo doesn't exist any more, and I haven't seen what its successor company, Leviathan, is offering yet). The Oxycheq Raider series are nice lights when they work, although they have a spotty track record for reliability and customer service (which is a shame, because it's a really nice light). The cost of a good backup light should be under $200, which makes it a little more accessible to someone starting out.

I had a 10w HID and recently moved to a 10w LED. The LED has about twice the lumens, a wider beam thats still quite easy to signal with, and I no longer have to spend a fortune to buy replacement bulbs. I would say I have more usable light from my LED than my 10w HID, but I've got nearly twice the lumens with the equivelant wattage LED - so that makes sense.

I am totally happy with my Dive Rite LED LUX. If you need something with a tighter beam(which I have found unnecessary), Salvo/Leviathon make a really neat LED with a tighter beam and smaller battery canister(same burntime as the DR). I just don't like the Salvo/Lev goodman handle.

LEDs are coming along very nicely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom