• Canister light

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • Pistol Grip

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Lantern Grip

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dori fish

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking to buy my first dive light. I would like a relatively low costing led canister light. I have been looking at dive rite, oms, and halcyon lights. Any suggestions, what do you use. I am open to anything and everything.
thank you all in advance

My LDS has a great deal on the Dive Rite LED 500 corded dive light, currently $200 off list price. Add a goodman handle and this might be a good option as an entry level can light if budget is a driving concern.

LT6079-500-2.jpg

Dive Rite 500 LED Corded Dive Light at www.DiveSeekers.com

You might want consider HID vs LED depending on where you're diving. HID is still the choice for overall light penetration vs LED.

The Dive Rite HID 1000 is a nice light. I used to dive with its 10w predecessor before switching to a 21w Salvo light. If I had the 15w version I probably would not have needed to upgrade to the Salvo.

DiveRiteHid1000Slimline.jpg

I crew on a dive boat here in NJ and see many people diving this light, and they all love it.

Dive Rite HID 1000 Slimline Canister Light with Free Goodman Handle and Free Shipping at www.DiveSeekers.com

Give Wayne or Jason at DiveSeekers a call directly if you have any questions about these lights or any of the others you mentioned. Tell them I sent you (Ray P) and they'll treat you right!

I use a DiveRite 10W HID and I want a different canister light. While it is a good light, there are two problems with it- the lighthead keeps coming out of the Goodman handle and the beam is too narrow. This is a good thing for signaling, but for looking into a cutout on a wreck, there is very little diffusion of the narrowed 6 degree beam.

So my recommendations are get a light with a focusable lighthead and a fixed handle, battery duration to handle your diving (multiple dives, long bottom times, or whatever), and a light company with a good reputation of treating their customers right in cases of warranty issues. Also a strong consideration, is matching the output of your light with your dive buddies. It would not help if you had the Sun attached to your hand while your dive buddies had say an 18W. So chat with those who you plan on doing the most diving with.

Most here are going to poopoo this light because it is not a canister (although I made goodman handle for mine), but if you are looking for high lumens at low cost, you can't beat this light. For my needs (non-technical diving, but still do shipwrecks in 20' vis), I have nothing but praise for this light, especially for video lighting.

At 1750 Lumens, you get close to twice the light output of the DiveRite 1000, at half the cost ($379.00 on scubatoys - good on warranty needs as well). Lithium ion rechargeable, 3 hr burn time. Serious penetration.

Matching the light output with buddies hasn't been a real problem - they like the added penetration, and look at my field of illumination more than there own.

EdgeDarkBusterHid.jpg

I have the adjustable beam Dive Rite 10w and I love it..

What makes a hid better than led and for what kind of diving, also what kind of diving and why for hid and the same for led?

I really like my DiveRite LED500. Great price. It is more than adequate for a night diving light and cavern light. I might think it OK for cave but most people into caves will probably spend more money on a main light but the LED 500 in that case would be a great main light back up in it's "flashlight" form. It converts to a mini flashlight into a mini canister. Buy the 300 dollar kit.

N

I really like my DiveRite LED500. Great price. It is more than adequate for a night diving light and cavern light. I might think it OK for cave but most people into caves will probably spend more money on a main light but the LED 500 in that case would be a great main light back up in it's "flashlight" form. It converts to a mini flashlight into a mini canister. Buy the 300 dollar kit.

N

+1 for the DiveRite LED500, great light but I would suggest you wait a month or so as DiveRite have just launched a LED700, same as LED500 +200 limens, so I would imagine that the price of the 500 will drop.

Canister light is the obvious answer if you see yourself getting really serious about diving. Personally I prefer HID, as I feel there has still been quite a lot of growing pains with the LEDs on the market (like too many duds/issues with people who have bought them, lower percentage of owners who have said they have had absolutely no complaints).

However, how much exactly do you have to spend? There is also a route many of us took when collecting money for the 'ultimate' light and building in experience. You can start by getting an excellent back up light and use it as your primary first. After you have enough money to get the primary (canister) you know you want and need, you can retire your first light to be a high end back up.

Photon Torpedo LED at $150 is one highly recommended. Will work adequate as a primary and be great back up:

gulftex

It's handheld but if you are not too tightly wound, in tight spots you leave it clipped to your chest d-ring, and you can hold it with your hand while it's still clipped, so if you need to let go it just dangles.

Canister light is the obvious answer if you see yourself getting really serious about diving. Personally I prefer HID, as I feel there has still been quite a lot of growing pains with the LEDs on the market (like too many duds/issues with people who have bought them, lower percentage of owners who have said they have had absolutely no complaints).

However, how much exactly do you have to spend? There is also a route many of us took when collecting money for the 'ultimate' light and building in experience. You can start by getting an excellent back up light and use it as your primary first. After you have enough money to get the primary (canister) you know you want and need, you can retire your first light to be a high end back up.

Photon Torpedo LED at $150 is one highly recommended. Will work adequate as a primary and be great back up:

gulftex

It's handheld but if you are not too tightly wound, in tight spots you leave it clipped to your chest d-ring, and you can hold it with your hand while it's still clipped, so if you need to let go it just dangles.

The Photon takes C cells which rules it out for me as I like to use rechargeable cells and don't want to carry a C charger. Also the light output according to the site is 100 lumens or less, which is on the low side for a light this size.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom