"new" Kenting wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The wreck itself isn't new -- it's been down there for quite some time now -- but it was found only recently and is thus a new dive site. I dived it with about 10 or 12 other folks on Sunday March 27th and it was a great dive. For wreck enthusiasts, it is a very welcome addition to Kenting's list of dive sites.

As of March 27th, nobody seemed to know when or why the ship sank, or even what kind of ship it was (probably a fishing vessel, we speculated). It lies at a depth of 32 meters, about 3/4 km west of the Sand Island dive site. It's not a large wreck (maybe 18 meters or so from bow to stern) but it is a beautiful one, as you can see from the videos below.

We dived it at a full moon so we were concerned about a strong current, and it was fairly strong when we were descending and ascending on the line, but once we were down on the wreck itself the current wasn't bad -- just some occasional unexpected swirls or eddies, the effects of which you can see if you watch the videos closely.

My camera's memory card was full so I didn't get any good video, but a couple of other divers did:

YouTube - Wreck Diving nearby Sand Island in Kenting (Taiwan)

YouTube - 27/3/11 wreck in kending

Makhno,

Thanks for posting - am sure I recognise that boat and some of the guys :D

Looks like a nice find, and that's another excuse to plan a Kenting trip ~ will prob head down South w/e after next 23/24 if you're around.

Toward the end of the first video - is that a sunfish ?

PS: Trying to sort best photos and will add last weekend "Orchid" dive trip report in next few days

Cheers

Looks like a nice find, and that's another excuse to plan a Kenting trip ~ will prob head down South w/e after next 23/24 if you're around.

Not sure yet of my plans, but I'd sure enjoy diving that wreck with you. Give me a call once you're sure you're going, OK?

Toward the end of the first video - is that a sunfish ?

No, it was a pufferfish -- a map puffer, if I recall correctly. A big one.

I chanced across one of these vids on utube approx. 5 weeks ago, and I was impressed by the quality of the site! Thanks to the camera op. for the posting there ... it has made me excited to return to Kenting now that better weather has returned.

Back
Top Bottom