new jersey shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonnyt

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
looking for some 1 who knows the jersey shore
looking to do some shore dives
any 1 who knows please let me know
want to go just say the word
know of a few that ive read about but dont know exact locations .

thanks
sonnyt

Shore diving in NJ is probably the most challenging diving one can attempt - u screw up the tides in an inlet - u r out to sea - pray for the fisherman to haul your rear back in. Viz - anything above 5 feet is awesome... Try Barnegat Inlet - I really liked it plus easy to calculate tides - njscuba.net and viz is usually decent - white sand... DO NOT ATTEMPT DIVING IT ON THE WEEKEND! Also get a beach buggy permit to drive onto the beach - the haul is probably about a mile - NOT easy... Make sure u have allthe gear they require for that permit (fishing rods and etc)... For actual shore diving in NJ - forget about it - depth is minimal and thus u'll be thrown around even by two footers

thanks for your concern .
i am from there .born and raised trust me i know about the week ends
and all the bennys .
i fished off island beach state park since i was was a kid
i know what is required .i just never dove there .

Barney is 1 of the places ive read about .theres a wreck just off to the left of the light house
theres 1 in point.theres a shore dive by the train tressel about 17 ft.u can see all the garbage the bennys leave behind
and shark river
i know the tides very well

agian thank you
sonnyt

not that i've been on either but...
two sites i've wanted to hit were dual wrecks off longbranch and
western world off spring lake. you might want to check them out.
have i mentioned i hate sand in my gear and i'd rather be on a boat. lol.

How about the Atlantus off Cape May point? Anyone dive that? (or how about around the old bunker off of where the lighthouse is located?)

Too choppy?

Have dived the railroad bridge off Pt Pleasant and Manasquan Inlet.

Railroad bridge is a relaxing dive and easy entry exit. Dive with the slack tide 14-20 feet and coming up on the tropical time of year. 3 ml suits and seahorses, puffer fish etc. Regularly there are starfish, hermit crabs mussels blue claws, fluke flounder etc. Small boat wreck and some other things. Nice dive. And still trying to figure out if there is a difference being under the bridge with the new cement stanscions when a train goes by.

Manasquan Inlet you have got to follow the tides and am told that it is very boring during the day. I did nite. Have to stay 50 feet of the rocks on the sides and out of the boating center lane (those fishing boats are quite large) 7ml suit the norm and 20-35 feet dive Current wasnt too bad lots of life tucked in the rocks, oyster crackers, eels, baby manta rays and the usual suspects . Did not see any bugs but am told they are there. Getting in was reasonable, off the seawall, a giant stride or a roll. Getting out was a challange for me but the guys went first and lent a hand, a climb up the rocks and then climb onto the wall, walk down a short distance and jump off. Parking was the headache. There is a really nice little park there but the meter issue with the new electronic meter thing was a beast. We all screwed up and under estimated and there is no way to add to the meter so overload on that to avoid the ticket.

Let me know if you want a tour, am new to diving but am learning the area fast

Cheryl

cheryl : i would love a tour sometime .i will be coming down sometime this month dont know exactly when though .i have invited my nephew up here to go dive the st lawrence
this coming week .lots of wrecks .water very clear .have u ever been ?if not u should try it .but anyway .seems to me there are'nt a lot of shore dives in jersey .just what i 've been reading .i am a former jersey boy just never dove there .but yes, before the season ends i do want to dive there .i have a buddy there that does spear fishing.but not really into that and he can never find the time to dive .
well i hope i didnt bore u to much and thank you for the invite .
here is my email address
sonnyboy1862@aol.com give me a holla and let me know whens good for u
thanx
sonny

shirly
hi sonny here ,
been in nj for about a week and half now . did the trian bridge gotta say didnt like it much ,couldnt see anything .gotta tell ya had a quick lesson in tides that day .i really do want to do a nice dive before i leave .leaving on sat .this sat .want to do a dive with some1 who has been there done that.and yes diving these waters are a little scary .got to know what u r doing . i got that the hard way .

thanx sonny

Sonnt would love to help you but have swimmers ear (Thursday was a tuff day) and cant dive for a week.

Did the train bridge tuesday nite and vis was 20 ft. Puffer fish, angel fish, and more and all the regular denizens and was looking for seahorses but the current was ripping by the bridge by the time we got in. Couldnt do the inlet because of a festival going on there, but came out of the water to a spectacular fireworks show. Sorry you didnt get to see anything.

Call a local dive shop Underwater Discovery in Toms river 732-270-9100 or Shore Scuba in Bricktowm 732920-6005 (they have a regular shore dive schedule check on line) Divers two in Avon runs some shore dives 732-776-7755

hope you can hook up this week tides at inlet are cooperating

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom