New innovation: "The Razor Side Mount System"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I've done two dives with the Razor and I love it. Now granted I'm new to sidemount so I have nothing to compare it too, but as minimalistic as it is....anything more would be just that....more. I'm in a 1.5mm wetsuit, Catalina 80s, 2KG weight, jetfins and my camera in a FIX housing (it's pretty negative). Yesterday I did a 70 minute dive with 20 minutes of deco and today a 64 minute dive with 23 minutes of deco both with a max depth of 42 meters. I have yet to add any air into the wing while diving and with this setup I will probably ditch the wing. I'll be doing some diving with my "euro 12's" (basically LP95 I hear?) plus stages, at which time I'll obviously need the wing.
I really have no complaints about the rig other than being the front man for questions on our local charter boat. If anyone has any specific questions I'll do my best to entertain them. I'd also appreciate any advice/comments.
Between yesterday and today I've shortened the bungee that loops the top of the tanks. As you can see from the picture below the tops of the tanks were sitting too loose. I used a zip tie to affix the bolt snap so today I cut it off and took about 3 inches off the bungee. An improvement, will experiment with another 2" tomorrow. Next endeavor is fixing hose length but that's a simple fix. Only LP hoses I had were my 1meter hoses off my stages or 2+meter long hoses. I'm either going to go with a shorter hose on the left (currently long hose in right) or go with two long hoses, I found the long hose to be easy to adjust the exposed length. But eitherway...not really relevant to the actual harness.
The pouch that comes with the kit is a piece of work. Closes up nicely when you don't have a lot things in it and expands to hold quite a bit of stuff. Spare bungee, two spools and one SMB with room for much more. Reel clipped off the the back D-Ring thing that comes with the kit.
Razor2.jpg

Yeah and I bought a 10L Dromedary AND the dumb pipe.

[video=youtube;8ahQYqho7w4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahQYqho7w4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

This dude seems to know how to use it.

Nice fins

So I've done two dives with the Razor and I love it. Now granted I'm new to sidemount so I have nothing to compare it too, but as minimalistic as it is....anything more would be just that....more. I'm in a 1.5mm wetsuit, Catalina 80s, 2KG weight, jetfins and my camera in a FIX housing (it's pretty negative). Yesterday I did a 70 minute dive with 20 minutes of deco and today a 64 minute dive with 23 minutes of deco both with a max depth of 42 meters. I have yet to add any air into the wing while diving and with this setup I will probably ditch the wing. I'll be doing some diving with my "euro 12's" (basically LP95 I hear?) plus stages, at which time I'll obviously need the wing.
I really have no complaints about the rig other than being the front man for questions on our local charter boat. If anyone has any specific questions I'll do my best to entertain them. I'd also appreciate any advice/comments.
Between yesterday and today I've shortened the bungee that loops the top of the tanks. As you can see from the picture below the tops of the tanks were sitting too loose. I used a zip tie to affix the bolt snap so today I cut it off and took about 3 inches off the bungee. An improvement, will experiment with another 2" tomorrow. Next endeavor is fixing hose length but that's a simple fix. Only LP hoses I had were my 1meter hoses off my stages or 2+meter long hoses. I'm either going to go with a shorter hose on the left (currently long hose in right) or go with two long hoses, I found the long hose to be easy to adjust the exposed length. But eitherway...not really relevant to the actual harness.
The pouch that comes with the kit is a piece of work. Closes up nicely when you don't have a lot things in it and expands to hold quite a bit of stuff. Spare bungee, two spools and one SMB with room for much more. Reel clipped off the the back D-Ring thing that comes with the kit.
Razor2.jpg

Sounds like a good piece of equipment :) Thanks for the review.

$800 c'mon.

Some strapping, MSR bladder, d-rings, and a little sewing gets you the harness setup.

Even if I did make my own Bogarts harness I'd still use the DR ring system. I'm just not seeing $800 for an ultrasonic sealed bag with inflator and strapping with stamped hardware.... sorry. You can say all you want about the design and such, but its easy to make yourself and the MSR works fine.

options:
-msr bladder on the back of an Oxycheq travel light harness (cheap)
-UTD has basically the same system with more bladder options and is cheaper (z-system)
-dual bladder Nomad for $800, and it has the rings I like

Then don't buy it. Different strokes for different folks. I spent some time researching what I wanted. I even stated on my original post on page one that it's expensive for what you're physically getting. The whole thing comes in a little 6"x10"x10" box (give or take). My buddy and I even joked around that when he gets his he wants it to come in a bigger box. If you know a good metal guy then you can probably steal the design and build it for less than $100 and I say go for it. Of course there are options out there, but that wasn't the point of this topic, it was to specifically discuss the pros and cons of the Razor. People out there also pay top dollar for things because they have a blue H on them when there are equally good if not better equivalents out there for less cost.

I will also add that the customer support from gosidemount has been second to none and the quality of the parts is simply great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom