New in California!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mazen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey,

I'm Mazen and I'm going to be at Berkeley for almost 2 months (August and September). I wanted to ask if there is a place for renting scuba gear (everything from the mask to the fins) and meet up with cool people to have a dive or more during those 2 months.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Welcome.

You should check out Monterey. Any of the dive shops there can do you right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to NorCal :)

As suggested above Monterey holds some of the best diving around and there are plenty of shops to set you up with gear.

The water is cold, so a drysuit would be ideal, although any shops that rent drysuits will require a c-card to do so. Every shop rents wetsuits. 14mm at the core isn't enough for me, but might work for you.

Thanks, I will check it out. By the way can they buddy me up with someone like if there are tours or something?

For finding buddies, you can post here and sometimes you'll get response.

There is also The Greater Bay Area Scuba Lovers Meetup (Santa Clara, CA) - Meetup
That is the meetup for scuba in the bay area. if you're familiar w/ meetup, it's a way for folks to organize "meet ups" for all kinds of activities (hiking, biking, etc.) including diving.

For renting gear, there are a number of dive shops in Monterey (just do a google search), where you would likely be diving. There are also small shops in Oakland & Alameda.

Happy diving!

There's a list of dive shops and clubs at
http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/

The clubs are a good way to meet folks.
Also read the two sections that start "Information".

I suspect you don't have a lot of (any?) cold water experience. The water is cold,
but the invert life is world-class.

The Monterey shops all do tours. My recommendation would be to talk to
Aquarius on Del Monte (not the same as Glenn's Aquarius II at the breakwater)
and get a tour with Bruce.

You probably want to buy a mask so you have one that you know fits.
And if you wear glasses, you can get prescription lenses in the mask.

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom