New housing, to remove or not to remove...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rad21

Contributor
Reaction score
the O-ring(s), that is the question. I was thinking, since the housing has been sitting with the newly installed o-ring in the store since it's manufacture date (could be many months), should I leave them in or remove them until I am ready to go diving? Since the o-ring is clean and already installed, I am thinking it makes more sense to leave it installed, less chance of stretching it out or getting a speck of dirt on it. What do you suggest? TIA

I wouldn't worry about it. My PT-015 sat idle for a few months before I got the chance to use, and it was fine. As always, just do an inspection of the rings to make sure they are clean before you use it. As well, if it is the first time, put a soft weight inside a ziplock bag and put it in the camera and take it down to depth first to check for leaks.

Did you notice that your O ring(s) have somewhat of a rectangular shape to them from being kept in the housing under pressure with the housing locked?
I noticed that was the case on my second PT-010 that I ordered from Japan. It too was likely sitting around for some time.
The O rings won't stretch out just from not being in the grooves. I keep mine in a zip loc bag doubled over in half. I don't want them to take shape from being under pressure in the housing.

I'd remove them, grease them well, and follow Gilligans tip and put them in a ziplock.

rad21:
Thanks for the replies, I will remove and store them lightly greased in a baggy.

I do the same 0-ring baggie thing. You might want to consider storing the o-rings inside the housing though. You sure wouldn't want to forget them! Oh wait... not everyone is as forgetful as I am.

If you store the housing with the O-rings installed, the door to the housing will become VERY difficult to open if it stays latched during storage. If you leave the door unlatched, you risk getting dust on the rings. Also, if you fly with the O-rings in the latched housing, the problem only gets worse.

I too keep my O-rings coiled in a plastic bag. They're very easy to install and just as easy to remove, especially if you use the removal tool.

Stan

Back
Top Bottom