New here and need some wise direction and counsel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

owiver

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

As I listed in my newbie profile, I am totally "green" when it comes to the water sports that are usually discussed here. I have never been scuba diving and have no desire to. Thanks to a prank that was played on me as a teen, I am terrified of open water. If I can't see and touch the bottom, I cannot go in. I did manage to snorkel for an afternoon last summer while visiting Destin. As long as I could touch the sand with my hands and still breathe without submerging, I was fine. I hate feeling like that!!!

Now, we are preparing for a return trip to Destin and I really want to overcome my fear and enjoy snorkeling more. I've read elsewhere in the forums here about snorkeling out by the jetties off of the O'Steen beach access. I need to be where the water is as clear as possible and not too choppy. I'm a great swimmer (in the pool), but want to plan ahead as much as possible to work on my water issue in a safe manner.

We are planning on visiting June 7-14.

I am open to any help/suggestions for someone who is fearful and not skilled in this area. Thanks in advance!

Owiver

I would spend some time in a swimming pool. I know the recreation centers where I live allow it. Of course, they will expect you to have your on gear, which might be a difficulty for you. You can also go to dive shops near you, especially if they have a pool on their premises, and ask about a Discover Snorkel class. These are usually very inexpensive, and spending that time with an understanding instructor can be worth every dime.

Many people have an inordinate fear of putting their faces in the water, often due to some trauma in the past. It is perfectly understandable. If I were to be teaching a class for you and you explained your problem, I would do my best to sequence you in a way that would help you overcome that fear. I think it would be a rare instructor who would do otherwise.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 07:38 PM ----------

I forgot to mention that an advantage of taking a class is that they will probably provide gear if you don't have it. It might be cheaper than just going to a recreation center on your own.

Hi All,

As I listed in my newbie profile, I am totally "green" when it comes to the water sports that are usually discussed here. I have never been scuba diving and have no desire to. Thanks to a prank that was played on me as a teen, I am terrified of open water. If I can't see and touch the bottom, I cannot go in. I did manage to snorkel for an afternoon last summer while visiting Destin. As long as I could touch the sand with my hands and still breathe without submerging, I was fine. I hate feeling like that!!!

Now, we are preparing for a return trip to Destin and I really want to overcome my fear and enjoy snorkeling more. I've read elsewhere in the forums here about snorkeling out by the jetties off of the O'Steen beach access. I need to be where the water is as clear as possible and not too choppy. I'm a great swimmer (in the pool), but want to plan ahead as much as possible to work on my water issue in a safe manner.

We are planning on visiting June 7-14.

I am open to any help/suggestions for someone who is fearful and not skilled in this area. Thanks in advance!

Owiver

You can be desensitized after having experienced a trauma. I would recommend, as did John, to spend more time swimming but I would also recommend seeking out someone who can guide you through that process.

Here is a link that may give you a starting point: Systematic desensitization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck.

R..

For people with fears like yours there is help possible. Psychologists us for instance neurolinguistic programming. They work with you to get rid of in in one or two sessions. It appears to have amazing results. It is such a waste to not be able to do what you want because a unrealistic fear..
I hope you can overcome this and btw welcom here!

Owiver,
It's wonderful that you are tackling your fear of the water. Practicing in a pool is a good suggestion. Also, go to a dive shop and get a well-fitting mask and a good snorkel. Learn how to de-fog the mask. Equipment that works makes a big difference in the experience. You can also wear a snorkel vest in the water.

You can also wear a snorkel vest in the water.
I wear mine a lot, swimming, kayaking, boating - good to have a parachute, and feel safer.

Try drown proofing yourself first, this will reduce or eliminate your fear of the water. Drownproofing This is a simple technique that will allow you to stay afloat indefinitely with out having to move a mussel other then just to breath. This is the same technique divers use to get their weight adjusted properly. Once you know that you cannot drown and put some practice time in the pool you will do fine.

Thank you all for taking time to respond to my questions! I appreciate your help. I am definitely giving consideration to and trying to schedule some desensitization therapy and some time in the scuba pool here near our home in Texas.

Thoughts on Snuba? Might this be a good possible cross-over for me if I'm not able to be fully prepared for snorkeling within our arrival in 5 weeks? Is Snuba worth consideration, given my mental water issue?

Also, as far as snorkeling in Destin, what area would you recommend for the clearest/calmest water?

Thanks in advance for helping me work through this!

Owiver

---------- Post added May 9th, 2014 at 04:17 PM ----------

Super excited!!! Just read thru the recommended info about Drownproofing and then talked with the guys at our local dive shop, and they are willing to do an intro to snorkeling class for me, even if it's just me by myself!

Can't wait to get started!!

Thanks for your encouragement y'all. :)

Owiver

Last edited:
Thank you all for taking time to respond to my questions! I appreciate your help. I am definitely giving consideration to and trying to schedule some desensitization therapy and some time in the scuba pool here near our home in Texas.

Thoughts on Snuba? Might this be a good possible cross-over for me if I'm not able to be fully prepared for snorkeling within our arrival in 5 weeks? Is Snuba worth consideration, given my mental water issue?

Also, as far as snorkeling in Destin, what area would you recommend for the clearest/calmest water?

Thanks in advance for helping me work through this!

Owiver
I wouldn't suggest snuba in the event that you didn't deal with the fears. Those could hit you in a different way, and things could even get worse below. Good luck with dealing with them.

Don't try to use scuba as a way to overcome a deep fear of water. Panic is the most dangerous thing that can happen to a diver. Work with your fear on the surface, and with snorkeling, until you are no longer terrified of water, before considering scuba.

We've had some students who have signed up for classes, hoping to deal with severe water anxiety. It never works.

Back
Top Bottom