New here and hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wico6768

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I am new here, and pretty new to diving. I have read an obsessive amount of accidents and incidents posts, and someday might post our newbie near misses. We've had them. Introduced to diving on our honeymoon, with a wonderful intro to scuba session there, and then another a couple years later. So, we got certified and did our open waters in Bora Bora with an amazing instructor who, at the time, had cancer and passed a couple years ago. He taught us so much, and was such a nice person in general, we were sad to learn of his passing. He taught us much more than we got from our classroom and pool sessions, he had a passion and he shared it with us. Wonderful man.

Since, we have not dived locally, I don't even know where we would that would be warm.

But we have about 52 dives, all warm water. Coz, Belize (NOT blue hole, we specifically snorkeled only there, and then French Polynesia, our true love).

We'll be in Turks/Caicos over Thanksgiving, and at Moorea, FP in July.

I have learned a lot from reading, and hope to learn much more. I want to get rescue certified, but unfortunately you must do AOW, which I don't really want. I
d be open to suggestions as to that from any of you. It just doesn't seem like what we want to do, the dives they teach anyway. We have a guy in Rangiroa who basically teaches us when we are there, but we aren't doing it for certs, he just wants to teach, and we want to learn. He isn't PADI anyway, so he couldn't cert us. But, he's a wonderful person and instructor. We dive with his shop (him and his wife) each year we're there. So, should we do the AOW? Can you do that without wreck diving, night diving, etc? I'd rather do a lot of peak buoyancy and maybe a couple deeps, since we generally end up between 60-80 now in FP.

As to Coz, we have never done anything remotely scary there. But maybe we are just lucky? I read about all the danger, and we only do easy, with the current, drift diving. Like no exertion at all, and definitely no depth. That's what we prefer. But you never know what you never know, so should we know more for there? We go somewhere closer each Fall, twice has been Coz, once Belize and now Turks.

My husband is my buddy, I wouldn't buddy with anyone else. So neither of us do insta buddies on dive ops. When i Rangi though, he goes with the husband and I go wit the wife. And they teach.

I feel like I know a lot of you, since I've done SO much reading, but I know you don't know me We're in CO, and happy to have found this place, wish I'd of found it sooner, and our very first OW dive after our check out dives(which was in Tikehau and that guide is no longer guiding), was our open your eyes dive that taught us A LOT about how green we really were. We were lucky, several times, and it made us safer and better buddies.

Happy to meet you,

Wico

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

My biggest question on your post is about Cozumel. Definitely no depth? I have only been once and did 4 - 2 tank boat dives. (and some house reef dives) The first dive on all 4 days was to ~90 fsw.

Interesting that your experience was so different.

Welcome aboard and dive safe!

I know, which is odd, I've been reading and reading, but we weren't below at the most, 80. Mostly about 40-60.

Some of our easiest dives ever BUT we told all we were new, and we went with a small boat, last time, just us and the guide.

Maybe that's why? Our deep dives have been in FP, for sure.

Hello Friends... I am new here. I love diving sooooooooo much. It is a very healthy activity. But it is true that after hearing the bad incident about diving... My parents are not allow me to dive in a sea... Inshort they allow me to dive but not in a deep sea... And i am trying my Best to convince my parents... Hopefully they will give me permission to complete my wish... Stay Blessed

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Did you get any snow yesterday?

Time to go diving some place warm. We're headed to Tubbataha.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Did you get any snow yesterday?

Time to go diving some place warm. We're headed to Tubbataha.

Hi, no we didn't, but we got either hail or sleet wednesday night, and snow is forecast for sunday and monday, which makes sense, because we planted the garden and set out all the flowers. :wink:

We don't get to go anywhere warm again until July, have a great time! Philippines is on our list for sure.

Back
Top Bottom