New Hampshire Isle of Shoals Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Riz

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome Diving aboard the 31' Giant Stride with Captain Rob Kenney!!! He is the most awesome and accomodating person i have ever met!!....well we left our 2 day 2-2tank dive trip of 5 divers up to the capt. with only 2 requests.....seals....and walls.....well he didn't let us down!!.....
Day one greeted us with 6' choppy seas and beautiful sunshine .

We met with Rob at the boat...a very clean and well eauipped 31' cape canavarial cruiser....were briefed on the usual equipment locations...safety precautions...ect...the Crew.....Julia and a Mate....a few minutes later...we were aboard....gear stowed....and underway.....Rob decided that with the prevailing conditions we were best off with a wall dive to start things off.
Star Island:
The Dive was a 110' wall with awesome life!!...wolf fish...lobsters everywhere.....soft coral an annonmes were everywhere...Julia did a fine job of leading us across the lead line to the descent line and down to 97' 44 degrees and 40' vis.....she dropped a wreck line another 25'...and waited for us at the line as we just explored the current was light and with the line making it idiot proof to find the was back...it was extremely pleasant.....35 minutes later we were back aboard!
Upon returning ...Rob had a variety of soft drinks....snacks ect waiting for us during our surface interval......we decided to head to our second spot, Still Star Island....a nice light 35' cove, off the beach of the Cornell U R/D center.....an old pier that was now a natural reef....it was like diving an aquarium!!....sand dollars...and a few harbor seals made an appearance.
After the second dive removong my drysuit......a self repair to my wrist seal went bad and i was left holding 3/4 of it in my hand.....did it bother rob.....new....a quick cell call to the local dive shop......and an emergency overnight repair....i was ready for action 8am day 2......the best dive shop in NH....the name escapes me....but believe me...rob will fill you in.....these guys are the definition of customer service!!.....

The second day were seals.......

Boone (ithink)Island....literally 100's of seals came out to join us upon our arrival.....and the fun was amazing......the ultimate in nature diving....the seals were more curious than cautious....nibbling my fin......buzzing within inches.....swimming belly to belly.....they seemed more trained...than wild animals......that is an experience that will live with me a long time!!!.....the second dive was more of the same.......

I know this sounds like a commercial.....but I scream loud and clear when things aren't made right.....but also when things are 5 STAR!!........the service, enthusiasm of this young captain...were next to none....please feel free to contact me for robs contact info his prices were great as well

Thanks,
Sounds like a trip I'd like to take with my family, after they get more experience!! My wife would love the seals!!

BTW, why is this in the Tek section??
shouldn't it be in Travel/North America??

Originally posted by Newhampster
Howzabout some contact info for the boat?
And pricing?

He's out of Rye Harbor. Captain Rob's Charters:

http://www.captainrobs.com/

Pricing can be found at:

http://www.captainrobs.com/prices.htm

I've not dove with him, but he recently started getting involved with the MetroWest dive club, and I know we've [the club] has scheduled/done a couple of dives with him. I have met them at various shows and they definately seem like good people. It's excellent to hear the good review from someone that had experiences on his boat....

I dove with him early this year through Metro West Dive Club. Excellent Captain, clean boat, great dive. I hovered for awhile. A seal came up and nipped my fin.

I have a buddy just getting back into the sport. After his refresher, I may well book Captain Rob for a charter to the Isle of Shoals or, possibly, the Empire Knight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom