New Guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetdriver69

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new guy checking in.

I’m a pilot for a wealthy family that vacations to some very nice tropical destinations.

After just returning from Bora Bora and doing some outstanding snorkeling, I am resolved to build a DPV.

Although I am certified, we rarely dive due to the potential pressurization problems associated with flying at 45000 ft and above with a 5-6000 ft cabin altitude for 10+ hours.

Anyway I need a design that will fit in standard sized suitcase cushioned by a foam insert and not too heavy.

I was thinking of the older Scuba Tow design being sold by Midwest Engineering using 1/2 inch white acrylic plastic for the frame and 1/4 sheet for the skin instead of wood and fiberglass.

Two Whitesnake saltwater 24 lb thrust trolling motors $133 each at Walmart.

MightMax ML35 amp hour AGM battery for $67 off Amazon that should fit in the design or that could be easily modified.

The motors come with a simple hi/low setting that I hope will get 60-90 minutes of intermittent use.

I know there isn’t enough amps available for full power on both motors for 60 minutes, but I wouldn’t be doing that anyway.

I’m 190 lbs so would 48 lbs if thrust be sufficient to attain a decent underwater speed? White snake also sells a 18 lb saltwater for $105 on Amazon, but as in jets thrust is your best friend.

I won’t be going very deep, maybe 25 ft while snorkeling so motor integrity shouldn’t be an issue.

I thought about PVC pipe designs but would be hard pressed to fit the design in a suitcase.

I fly my own jet so issues carrying a battery are not a problem.

Any expert advise?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. A great place to be during surface intervals.
A very nice introduction in your post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom