New guy needs advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chasbo

New
Reaction score
Hi!

I went diving with a guy about 20 years ago in Hawaii . Totally inexperienced. It was actually my first dive. He took me to a cave filled with sharks, maybe 5 swimming in a circle. He was actually a dive instructor who I just briefly befriended.

I’m sure it was highly irresponsible. But it was probably the coolest experience of my life.

Now I’d like to learn properly. I’m in NYC so any advice on where to go, where to learn, how to learn, what to read etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Charles

Check out Leisure Pro

Trust Me dives happen - seems you know better or at least aware now. You coming to this site is probably the best thing you could have done - took me over 100 dives and a few years before I got here and discovered what diving was actually supposed to look like. Google DIR & GUE for lots of video on what things should be emulated. I personally don't drink the tea but they do things a certain way for a reason - and that reason is hard to deny. Buoyancy, trim, launching SMB, and gear configuration are all points that need to mastered or addressed. 40" primary hose is what I use along with an Air2 type (which is definitely not DIR) - no need for 7' for the type of diving I do. Take away what suits you but the knowledge is available.

Hi!

Now I’d like to learn properly. I’m in NYC so any advice on where to go, where to learn, how to learn, what to read etc would be appreciated.

Where are you in NYC?

Scuba New York (PADI) in Yonkers (Central Ave.) has a fine reputation. I've been a customer for years.

Check out Leisure Pro

I am currently in a spat with leisure pro regarding their abysmal customer service. I can only speak for myself, but I currently would have a hard time using them/ordering anything from them anytime soon.. based on the engagement from their customer service team over the last week, I full expect I’ll be telling everyone and their dog my woeful tale as to why they should not use LeisurePro....for the next several years at least...

*updated* leisure pro have attempted honestly to rectify the issue, although it doesn’t change the fact that the issues could have been avoided and they need to tighten up a few things IMO, It was a fair resolution in the end.

I am currently in a spat with leisure pro regarding their abysmal customer service. I can only speak for myself, but I currently would have a hard time using them/ordering anything from them anytime soon.. based on the engagement from their customer service team over the last week, I full expect I’ll be telling everyone and their dog my woeful tale as to why they should not use LeisurePro....for the next several years at least...
I am sorry to hear that. I have been buying gear from them for about 25 years and have never had issues. Care to elaborate on what happened?

it's still ongoing and i would like to see it play out a little before launching full 'negative press' incase they come around or someone more senior sorts it out, so i'm reticent to put it on the board in an incomplete state, but i'll pm you.

I am sorry to hear that. I have been buying gear from them for about 25 years and have never had issues. Care to elaborate on what happened?

Back
Top Bottom