New guy from the Pacific Northwest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrCatDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
G'day everyone,
I've been diving for just over 28 years. I left the sport for a short bit, but over the last couple of years, I've gotten back into it. I'm a long-time lurker here at ScubaBoard, and thought I would finally sign up. I have an AOW with a smattering of specialties and even spent about 5 years as a police u/w search & recovery diver (I stopped doing that around 2003 or so). Now it's strictly recreational. Moving forward, I am considering looking into doing a rescue refresher and perhaps a divemaster course (admittedly it'll probably take me another 28 years to make that decision :p). At any rate, I'm just a regular feller who likes to dive and enjoys reading the posts here.
Cheers!
-MrCD

Welcome from a fellow new guy to ScubaBoard!
My dive instructors at HSU recently started a dive rescue team through Humboldt Fire, any tips or cautionary tales for someone looking to volunteer in this capacity?

Where do you live? Hello from Bellingham WA.

Jhathaway,
I think the best tips I could give is to make sure you're comfortable with your ability and get used to diving together as a team. It's also good to be familiar with your teammate's diving ability and know their quirks, strengths, and weaknesses; make sure you're equipment is always ready to go and take care of it. For me, the training was challenging but rewarding. Make sure you're in good cardio-vascular condition. - Finally, be prepared for the tragic side of this kind of stuff. It nearly ruined the fun side of diving for me. There were quite a few times where the ride home from the site was either very teary or very quiet. I hope that helps and doesn't deter you from looking into it further.

Welcome from a fellow new guy to ScubaBoard!
My dive instructors at HSU recently started a dive rescue team through Humboldt Fire, any tips or cautionary tales for someone looking to volunteer in this capacity?
Jhathaway,
I think the best tips I could give is to make sure you're comfortable with your ability and get used to diving together as a team. It's also good to be familiar with your teammate's diving ability and know their quirks, strengths, and weaknesses; make sure you're equipment is always ready to go and take care of it. For me, the training was challenging but rewarding. Make sure you're in good cardio-vascular condition. - Finally, be prepared for the tragic side of this kind of stuff. It nearly ruined the fun side of diving for me. There were quite a few times where the ride home from the site was either very teary or very quiet. I hope that helps and doesn't deter you from looking into it further.

Where do you live? Hello from Bellingham WA.
Hi Rob -
I'm down here in Tacoma

Back
Top Bottom