New gopro tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am interested to see how this works in practice. Seems like it would be very cumbersome and ungainly in the water due to the size.

I have a feeling you will remove the piece you made to put your arm through...doesn't seem necessary. A DSLR camera rig, as an example, is much bigger and far heavier and doesn't require anything like that.

True I suppose. I don't often think of GoPro's and can lights together.

Here's a tray/arm I built some time ago showing pvc light mounts. The elbows, tees and lights are held together by bungee which allowed them to swivel for focusing:

View attachment 148146

View attachment 148147

I like this and what lights are you using? OBTW you might want to check out Line Loc

I am interested to see how this works in practice. Seems like it would be very cumbersome and ungainly in the water due to the size.

I have a feeling you will remove the piece you made to put your arm through...doesn't seem necessary. A DSLR camera rig, as an example, is much bigger and far heavier and doesn't require anything like that.

I made the arm support a screw on piece, so it is able to come of very easily. I'm gonna jump in my buddies pool tomorrow and see how it is, and your right it is bulky, and it might get annoying when its clipped to my d-ring when not in use. I have two other designs that i made and am going to try out as well.

---------- Post added February 19th, 2013 at 11:00 AM ----------

I like this and what lights are you using? OBTW you might want to check out Line Loc

I havent bought any lights yet, so if anyone has any suggestions for a good light but reasonably priced, I'm a starving college student so price is always an issue. haha

While DIY is always fun, all those joints and elbows and Electrical junction box for the main camera fitting all add up in cost too. to Buy that all new, that'd be what, $10-15 minimum? So almost 1/2 or 1/3rd the cost of a real tray? I'm not too sure why you feel you need an arm hole with the pipe? It's Going to get in your way more than a benefit in my opinion, but YMMV.

Used the tray this past weekend on 6 dives and i must say i loved using it, the arm piece worked very well when i had to use my left hand for anything and kept the shot steady. Also when not in use and clipped to my D-ring hardly knew it was even there. Very happy with this design. Going to try out 2 other designs this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom