New: GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheTrickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So, GoPro have finally taken the lid off their new Hero camera.

A nice review is here:

GoPro Hero 3+ Hands On: A Nice Bump, But Not a Huge Jump

Additional Features / Improvements
  • f2,8 - Sharper Lens (they say 33% sharper)
  • Improvements to Metering / WB
  • Auto Low Light Mode (Automatically changes down from 60fps to 24fps)
  • SuperView - squashes a 4:3 1440p image into 16:9 1080p image
  • Better Mic Placement
  • New Smaller, easier to use housing - but only to 130ft/40m (But compatible with the older deeper housing)
  • Higher capacity battery (upto 30% longer lasting) - But same size

Stays the same
  • Sensor Technology
  • Resolutions, Frame Rates
  • USB, HDMI Outputs
  • Form Factor
  • Rear Connector

The last years Hero 3 have been discounted to 329.00 in most places. It might be a good time for folks who've been thinking about getting a GoPro to "dive in." It's a great way to do all kinds of action video, and it does a great job for Scuba!

Well there's nothing in those features that would compel me to spend the extra to upgrade from my Hero 3 BE. The higher capacity battery is nice but if its the same size then it may fit into the Hero 3 which is what i'm hoping.

Guess i'll just wait till next year for a real new GoPro which is fine by me considering I just bought mine a few months ago.

Only thing I want to know... will the new battery work in the old Hero 3?

Only thing I want to know... will the new battery work in the old Hero 3?

Yes.

But the 30% performance increase isn't all down to battery capacity, there have been software improvements, to gain more efficiency. So although the new battery will work in the GoPro 3:BE, you won't get all the extra 30%!

Yes.

But the 30% performance increase isn't all down to battery capacity, there have been software improvements, to gain more efficiency. So although the new battery will work in the GoPro 3:BE, you won't get all the extra 30%!
Interesting... I'm sure the new batteries won't hurt performance... even a 10% improvement would be appreciated.

Not that I'm going to toss my old batteries and replace them with these, but its good to know moving forward.

Yeah, too be honest the only thing that interests me is the stabilisation - if it works on the A9.

4k@30 ? I don't have a 4k telly nor the hard drive space to store the stuff!!!

I have a GoPro2 still - I think I will jump on the Hero3+ now.

The housing secure clip isn't that secure as hero3 where there is 2 secure switch. The hero3+ looks like it only have one secure clip too.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2013 at 10:16 PM ----------

Image quality wise, we need to see more review. But I still placing my money on hero3 at the moment, unless there is a very good reason for me to get 3+.

Back
Top Bottom