New Genesis 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Price is on the website at $7450 for the 2.1.

That price includes a full complement of batteries pre-installed in the Warp Core (LOL at that name - I love it)?

The weight is listed at 33.5#. That is with a full complement of batteries installed?

The individual layers are UN38.3 tested in both 2S4P and 1S8P configurations

What does this really mean? Is that configuration user-changeable? If so, why would the user run it either way?

Or is that just some minutia of the testing protocol that is required to allow air transport? The 2 configurations are moot for the end user? It comes configured one specific way and the user would never change it?

That weight is fully loaded with batteries.

Price is on the website at $7450 for the 2.1.

That price includes a full complement of batteries pre-installed in the Warp Core (LOL at that name - I love it)?

The weight is listed at 33.5#. That is with a full complement of batteries installed?

Yes, all our DPVs ship fully in-water tested, with cells and ready to dive. Cells are typically good for around 5 years and cell replacement cost is only around $350 for 850Wh of cells. Power tool batteries will cost you around $800 for the same Wh capacity. Other DPV batteries are $2000-$3000. If one cell goes bad in a PTD or large DPV battery pack, the whole thing is toast, unless someone local knows how to disassemble it, troubleshoot the bad cell and re-weld in a new one. You cannot ship defective lithium batteries legally without a mess of paperwork, a shipping metal container and dangerous goods account. If a cell goes bad prematurely in the Warp Core, you can just replace the bad cell for about $5. There are some limits to doing that and it is not always appropriate to change out a single cell. That's when you should contact us for support. In reality, bad cells are rare, but they do happen. That's why we test them twice before shipping. You don't want to find out halfway into your first dive.

What does this really mean? Is that configuration user-changeable? If so, why would the user run it either way?

Or is that just some minutia of the testing protocol that is required to allow air transport? The 2 configurations are moot for the end user? It comes configured one specific way and the user would never change it?

The Warp Core can be converted back and forth from the 2.1 to the 2.2 as needed, by adding or removing layers and re configuring cells. For example, If you have a 2.2 with 1700Wh and want a smaller DPV for vacation, you can remove half the layers and rearrange the cells from 1S8P to 2S4P. without having to buy different Warp Core layers for the large or small DPV. You would still need the appropriate body/tube for each configuration. With 850Wh on a little 33lb DPV, most people will not need the larger 2.2, but the possibility exists for the few that need both.

Cheers,
Jon

Love this! Too bad I replacement my battery a few years back. Next time it goes Ill update for sure. Will you be publishing prices for the motor rework, warp batteries, torque eliminator, and 2.0 body? This is gonna make interisland travel a breeze.

The conversion to the Warp Core Battery on older Genesis runs $2350 for the 2.1 and $3150 for the 2.2. Your 1200 will not be able to float the full weight of the 2.2 battery, so in your case, we'd leave one cell out of each layer to reduce weight and reduce the price by the cost of the cells not installed. You'd end up with 1500Wh instead of the full 1700Wh of the 2.2.

A shout out for Jon...

Got my old (first generation) Genesis 1200 back with its new warp core battery upgrade last week. Refurbishments included fixing the prop magnet, fixing the nose plug plating, new shorter handle, cleaning of the speed adjuster, new battery (1300 Wh capacity now), ever so slightly positive in my local freshwater unlike the previous heavy battery, new Bluetooth battery monitor/app, new 300W charger. I opted to have a slightly smaller battery to avoid having to deal with tube extensions, 1300 Wh was the most Jon could fit in there and remain neutral in freshwater.

The scooter is markedly faster than my friend's suex. There is absolutely zero torque at slow (~90ft/min) and medium (~160ft/min) speeds to the point where I can take both hands off the scooter it goes in a straight line. (I didn't try this at high speed). The shorter handle is lovely to operate. The BMS charges up fast and the app does a nice job illustrating cell health as well as allowing for customized battery parameters - if I was nervous about using the 2.7V/cell low cutoff for instance.

Did I say its blazing fast? Yeah its crazy fast.

A shout out for Jon...

... The BMS charges up fast and the app does a nice job illustrating cell health as well as allowing for customized battery parameters - if I was nervous about using the 2.7V/cell low cutoff for instance.

Did I say its blazing fast? Yeah its crazy fast.

Thanks rjack. The motor controller drops into low power mode around 3.15V/cell which prevents high current draw from the cells near the end of charge. That way you can squeak out the last few Wh without risk of hurting the cells. Normally you shouldn't plan to use the last 10-15% of the battery capacity, but it's there if you need it. Thrust at reduced power is still 35-40lbs, which will get most divers160-200fpm.

I actually eeked out a bit more thrust with a full charge on the new battery. Not that too many people use it continuously, but there's been a few instances when I've needed all 90lbs of thrust to push through a current, or get me out of a bad situation. It's better to have too much thrust and rarely use it, than not enough thrust when you really do need it.

@Jon Nellis Is there an ETA on WarpCore drop ins for SS Magnus?

We're a bit backed up getting the rush of new orders out and retrofits done, so it's going to be quite a while before we can work on adapting to other brands. Check back in 6-9 months.

Cheers,
Jon

How does it work that the scooter can be shipped as checked baggage without removing the batteries?

Each layer of the Warp Core is just under 100Wh and UN38.3 tested. A wiring harness connects the layers together to create the DPV battery and connect to the BMS. To prep for flight, you simply slide the Warp Core out of the tube, remove the wiring harness and slide it back into the tube. When you get to your dive destination, reinstall the harness and dive it. Even the Genesis 2.2 can fly with 1700Wh, because the layers are electrically separated to less than 100Wh for transport.

The IATA and FAA regs allow batteries less than 100Wh to be installed in Portable Electronic Devices (PED) in checked baggage if the batteries have been disconnected to prevent operation and protected from short circuit. There is no limit on how many 100Wh batteries can be installed in PED in checked baggage. The only limit is 20 each spare lithium ion batteries allowed as carry-on per IATA, not FAA.

DPVs using power tool batteries connect the packs electrically when they are installed. The US and IATA regulations define groups of cells or "power packs" that are electrically connected a "battery", so two or more power tool batteries installed in a DPV that connects them electrically when installed is considered to be ONE battery by the regulations, which is why the power tool batteries must be removed and hand carried as "spare batteries."

Cheers,
Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom