New Gear for DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, I am concerned what the chlorine will do to my gear after 6 months of interning OW classes, Discover Dives etc...

What do you all suggest I should do?

Use the shop's gear in the pool, as has been mentioned above.

Where I DM, we have a fleet of pool gear and are encouraged to use it because...

a.) It reduces wear and tear on our own gear
b.) It ensures you're familiar with the gear the students are using

Thanks for the advise guys... I will keep this forum updated as I'm sure I will need more insight into challenges as go I through the program...

Last and current shop say NO-NO to using rental gear, even in the pool.

Instrucors have a specific "unifom" te good stuff, and have to use it during any training sessions, confirmedor open.

The DMs and DM Canidates are a little less restricted, as long as the shop sells it, it's ok.

Pool is heated, so those ScubaPro 1mm steamers work pretty good but still require replacing 12-18 months.

I do as most mentioned reference having a pool kit & OW kit. I use the shops bc, tanks, weights, and regs. Everything else is mine and gets a good rinsing when I'm done using it. I like the shower idea too before stripping down :D. As for OW, well I have a few sets. When doing my DM the shop was ok with me having some out of compliance gear, but now that I've moved up and get paid they want gear to be in compliance (understandably so I might add). No matter what you do or use, just take care of it and then write it off on taxes if you can. Get new stuff via pro deal as needed and remember that buying and taking care of gear is just part of it.

Instrucors have a specific "unifom" te good stuff, and have to use it during any training sessions...

Are you required to purchase this gear, or is it provided?

I wouldn't bother with a shop that made me buy gear to ruin in their pool.

I worked over 3 years straight of full time dive resort instructor, mostly intro divers. That means at least 5 hours per week in the pool, not counting OW classes. My gear did not fade that much. :D

I bought that BC used off eBay for $125 shipped (10/05). The L on the shoulder makes me think it was previously a rental BC. :idk:
The picture above is from 10/07, after I'd made over 500 pool dives and nearly 2,000 ocean dives. :popcorn:

10 months later, diving nearly as often the whole time, I will admit the straps are faded brown. :shocked2:
It is still an acceptable blue today, but I am always on the lookout for it's replacement. :dork2:

Probably like a lot of warm water places, many Maui boat instructors who never dive pools, go through gear faster than many shore instructors. It's all about treatment of gear. I love the current boat I work and one reason is the good gear rinse system. Unfortunately, on most of Maui's boats the gear does a lot of sitting in the sun even if it is washed well. :depressed:

In a resort situation you are going in the ocean right after the pool normally. Then when you get out of the ocean, everything get's a serious fresh water rinse; rental reg's should get sanitized before the rinse. The good shops I have worked for had shaded gear drying and weather tight storage areas. Most have had both a wash tub and rinse tub. I often soak my gear for hours, some days off at home and some days at work, including reg's. An SB search on that last topic is pretty good reading! :coffee:

Disclaimers; only my first dive employer had a retail store. My current employer sells gear but has no store. I have never even been suggested to use or buy the same gear as students wear, but most of the student BC's I have and do work with were/are SeaQuest/Aqua Lung vests. :cool2:

No requirement to use any particular gear at the shop I "work" at.

There is plenty of equipment available on the pool deck - masks, fins, BCDs, regulators wetsuits - such that there is no need to use your own gear in the pool.

Open water is a different story - use your own gear - the shop needs the rental stuff for the students and "paying" customers. There is no "restriction" on what you wear.

Instrucors have a specific "unifom" te good stuff, and have to use it during any training sessions, confirmedor open.

The DMs and DM Canidates are a little less restricted, as long as the shop sells it, it's ok.

Pool is heated, so those ScubaPro 1mm steamers work pretty good but still require replacing 12-18 months.

depending on your pay and what they charge you for gear, that's total BS in my opinion.

the owner would have open revolt by the teaching staff if they tried that here!

I use my gear and rinse it well. I find that it is nice to give it a good chlorine "rinse". It keeps it from smelling and stuff. I have not noticed anything noticeable. I will be buying another set soon, but that will be my teaching set and the one I have now will be my personal set.

Back
Top Bottom