New gear - DiveRite / Apeks - thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njclifford

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy all,

first post! Diving for 15yrs, and time to replace my old set of gear.

Have decided to start getting into Tech diving, and am looking at a Transplate Package setup from DiveRite (would get SS BP and 50lbs lift Rec Wing) - sry cant post URLS yet!!!!

Also, looking at the Apeks XTX200 as a main and a XTX50 for an occy.

A few questions (have read heaps on this site...)

1. Is the DiveRite package a reasonable setup for a first purchase of a BP/Wing? I know others recommend OMS / Halycon etc, but for an all in one deal, it is pretty good priced!

2. Apeks.... I know some say are same as the Legend, but others say Apeks are the best... comments?

3. Online v LDS - I have researched an in BOTH groups of gear is seems that LP is NOT the cheapest - Lucas Divestore is cheaper for Apeks, and DiveRiteExpress is cheaper for the DiveRite kit. Are Lucas Divestore is an authorised reseller for Apeks? Other problem is in Brisbane, no shop stocks both those brands...

Is this a good setup for a beginner getting into Tech diving? Would probably go the Rec Wing with 50lbs lift to enable single or double. (I have read the fact I should use dedicated wings, but am going for flexibilty).

Any other thoughts would be HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks heaps!

Nick

Have decided to start getting into Tech diving, and am looking at a Transplate Package setup from DiveRite (would get SS BP and 50lbs lift Rec Wing). Also, looking at the Apeks XTX200 as a main and a XTX50 for an occy. ... Is this a good setup for a beginner getting into Tech diving? Would probably go the Rec Wing with 50lbs lift to enable single or double. (I have read the fact I should use dedicated wings, but am going for flexibilty).
You will probably get lots of first person testomonials on this (and part of my reply is just that). There have been a number of threads on the broad topics of dual purpose wing and SS vs AL BP, and specificially on the Rec Wing and Apeks regulators (including the XTX200). So, I would encourage you to throroughly review as many of those threads as possible. You willl find a generallly consistent sentiment about wings, and the Rec Wing in particular, that supports what you already appear to be aware of - it is best to have a good singles wing, and a good doubles wing, and it is difficult for one wing to optimally serve both roles.

The XTX200 is an excellent regulator. There are others just as good, but it is outstanding - breathes well at depth, very serviceable, good in colder water, etc. I have two, and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. You won't be disappointed with it.
If you are diving moderate to cold temperature water, and wearing thicker neoprene or a drysuit, a SS BP is a good start. I usually recommend that over an AL as the first BP, but you may see other suggestions. The Transplate harness is fine, I have dove them a number of times. I personally prefer a simple one-piece web harness but the Transplate is fine.
If you want to start with a Rec Wing, there is nothing really wrong with that. I started that way when I went BP, I have two Rec Wings still, have used them for single and double tanks dives, and they work for both. Some will tell you about the taco effect with them on a single tank, etc. If you go with a Rec Wing, and dive singles for a while you will be OK. If you dive doubles, you will be OK. Personally, I would start with a smaller wing (~30 lb, for example), optimized for singles, or a different wing, better suited to doubles, but it is not a big deal. I still use my Rec for the rare times I dive singles, simply because it is what I happen to have. I use it ocassionally for doubles but have other wings I prefer (Halcyon Explorer 55), Oxycheq Signature 50) a bit more.
So, is it a functional setup? Yes. It is the best setup, probably not. Is it bad, or dangerous. Not at all. The fact that you are moving to a BP is a good thing, the regulator is a superb choice, the wing is adequate. Everyone starts somewhere.

How do you plan to route your hoses?

I only ask, because as you move more towards "tech" diving it is more common to use a long hose and donate your primary. Make sure that in an OOA situation you are just as comfortable, in any condition you might be in, breathing from your octo.

I second the basic webbing and buying a singles-specific wing.

Just my $.02...

I don't know of any well known and reputable BC/Plate maker (Dive Rite, OMS, DSS, Halcyon, Oxycheq, etc.) that makes "bad" stuff. Their reputations are on the line and they can't afford bad feedbacks. I do notice that people have certain preferences toward the way the holes and slots drilled into backplates or the overall dimensions of backplates. Some positively love the Dive Rite backplate and some swear only by DSS backplate, ad infinitum.

Also depending on the kind of tech diving that you do. Many people on this board swears by the Hogarthian rig (aka single piece harness). But there's a reason why Dive Rite, OMS and even DSS have quick detachable/quick adjustment harnesses. Imagine you're cave diving and have to shed your gears while in a cave and push it before you or drag it behind you and then donning it again afterward in tight confines. Probably a lot easier to just pop off the detachable buckles and loosen the harness than try to shrug in and out of a Hog harness.

If you have to hump your gears half way up and down a mountain, then the paddings around the shoulder and waist belts may come in handy.

So, ask yourself what sort of "tech" diving are you going to do? There are many levels of tech diving ranging from simple deep/decompression dives to wreck penetrations to cave diving to exploration to heaven knows what.

If you want versatility, I think it's pretty hard to beat the Dive Rite TransPac. Single tank rec dive? No problem. Double tank mount? No problem. Side mount for cave diving? No problem. Get fancy with rebreather? No problem. Lug your rig half way up a mountain? No problem.

Thanks heaps for the response. I have now been steered towards probably getting a smaller wing now, and then a bigger one for later......

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks heaps for the response. I have now been steered towards probably getting a smaller wing now, and then a bigger one for later......

If you are diving a single tank now and doubles in the future then,yes,you are going to need 2 wings.

Howdy all,

3. Online v LDS - I have researched an in BOTH groups of gear is seems that LP is NOT the cheapest - Lucas Divestore is cheaper for Apeks, and DiveRiteExpress is cheaper for the DiveRite kit. Are Lucas Divestore is an authorised reseller for Apeks? Other problem is in Brisbane, no shop stocks both those brands...

Thanks heaps!

Nick

Hi clifford, is that Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. If it is, stop worrying about authorised v's unauthorised dealers if you're buying from overseas. If you source your gear outside Oz you will not have any warranty on any DR, Apeks or Aqualung equipment, whether it's from an authorised dealer or not.

Dive Dive Dive, a tech shop at Wakerley sell & service DR & Apeks gear. At least they did when I did some courses with them some time ago.
Dive Dive Dive: Contact Us

I sourced my Apeks regs from Scubastore in Spain ( Scuba store. Online Scuba gear and Scuba equipment shop. ) & some DR stuff from Dive Rite Express in Florida ( Dive Rite Express ).

With the death of the AU$ & the dramatic increase in the cost of shipping recently I can only say I'm glad I got most of my kit a while ago. Good luck & have fun with it.

Greetings Nick and welcome to SB!
Sounds like you have done some research which is very wise on your part.
Dive Rite makes great gear, I own and dive a Trans Pac as well as a Deluxe harness with a SS/BP both with REC wings. IMO both are awesome and have dove them with single 72, AL 80, AL HP 100 and double steel LP 95's. I would not go bigger than the recommended double tank size for the REC wing. Just check the Dive Rite wing specs.
I dive Apeks regs also and they are very nice! You will not be sorry at all!
The Aqua Lung Legends are great regulators also, nothing negative to say about them.
Both are very simular and owned by the same company.
The decision to enter the Tech realm is one I share also. The training, discipline, and rewards are not cheap but make diving beyond the recreational realm possible. Tech is not for everyone and with the increased risk comes a greater commitment to training.
Good luck and safe training to you! Play by the rules and take your time!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom