New G6 lights from UWLD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just saw in another thread where @tbone1004 mentioned an LD40 light from UWLD.

I never heard of such a thing so I went to look. It appears that the UWLD LD35 has been replaced by a "G6" LD40.

https://uwlightdude.com/products/primary-lights/

I assume that is short for a 6th Generation light.

I went looking for the LD35 specs to see how the LD40 compares, but I could not find them. I guess the LD35 is discontinued and the specs page has been taken down.

But, my memory is that the LD35 was 3500 lumens and an 8 degree beam angle.

The LD40 is 4000 lumens and a 6 degree beam angle.

That sounds awesome! IIRC, the LD35 was 8 degrees but the other, lower-powered lights in the old line-up were 6 degrees and that was one of the things that always made me hesitant to buy an LD35. I don't want to compromise on one spec (beam angle) just to get what I want in another spec (light output). It appears I would no longer have to.

Now if only it were not $1600+.... :(

If any of the specs stuff is wrong, please correct me!

@stuartv see the product release thread. @Bobby is working through some final testing before updating all of the burn information, but the G6 takes the existing badass LD35 and has some major improvements to make it that much better. New emitters allow the optics to tighten the beam angle, new boards, and the battery indicator on the piezo are all major improvements to an already amazing light. The extra output is just icing on the cake.

Thanks, both of you. I figured there should be a thread about this here in the Lights subforum and I didn't see one. I didn't even look in the mfr's forum. I mean, if someone is looking for info on lights, where are they going to go? :D

@tbone1004 The G6 improvements look like they took this light from being the best, but not quite perfect, to literally being the perfect dive light. The tighter beam and the battery indicator were exactly what (I felt like) it needed. As you say, brighter is just a bonus that will let me gloat to my friends with LD35s... :wink:

One other question:

I foresee, long term, having a can light and a heated undergarment. That suggests that I should buy the biggest battery pack, in order to handle both things with plenty of reserve.

But, it also occurs to me that it might be better to have a separate battery canister for each, for redundancy. And an E/O cord on the light head, so I could switch it over to use the can that was formerly powering the heated undergarment, if needed. Or possibly have a stacked E/O cap on each can with the unused cords stashed somewhere, in case they are needed. Then, either can could power both things, in a pinch.

And if I took that approach, I might be fine with 2 of the Short cans, instead of 1 (or 2) of the Tall.

Thoughts on any of that?

ps. I kinda feel like product detail questions are appropriate for the thread in the mfr's forum. But, I also kinda feel like these kinds of questions (about how you might use them) are more appropriate here in the Lights forum. ???

Thanks, both of you. I figured there should be a thread about this here in the Lights subforum and I didn't see one. I didn't even look in the mfr's forum. I mean, if someone is looking for info on lights, where are they going to go? :D

@tbone1004 The G6 improvements look like they took this light from being the best, but not quite perfect, to literally being the perfect dive light. The tighter beam and the battery indicator were exactly what (I felt like) it needed. As you say, brighter is just a bonus that will let me gloat to my friends with LD35s... :wink:

safer to leave announcement threads and technical questions in the manufacturers subforums because they have full control over their own subforums which prevents threads from devolving. If you read the rules of those forums, it is basically the equivalent of you emailing customer service at the company. If you post a question in the UWLD forum, you are not allowed to recommend a light from another manufacturer, and if you bash said manufacturer, your post will be promptly deleted.
Discussions like the main light for tech diving shouldn't be in the manufacturers subforums because it handcuffs you to only that manufacturer. Pros and cons.

Now, for how you sort it out, it all depends, but I would NOT use EO cords on anything except for controller to vest. They are not meant to be wet plugged contrary to what everyone else seems to think, and just add stupid amounts of cost to the product.
If you are worried about redundancy, just put them on separate battery packs and leave them be. The UWLD reliability is comparable to Shearwater, so worrying about redundancy is not something that I ever think about with either of those products.

If I was just powering a light and vest, I would leave them on one big pack. If you always need the vest, and intermittently need the light, then vest on stack, light on normal cap or vice versa. If the length isn't an issue, i.e. in backmount configurations, then getting them both in stack caps does add one extra o-ring, but does allow you to move them around if you change your mind.
If you are using a video head, then I would highly recommend a second canister just because the burn times start getting really short. The video heads are hungry beasts and since they are non essential, I wouldn't put it on the same battery.

Looked at the G6.
Seems that it's on back order. Does anyone know what the wait time is?

Looked at the G6.
Seems that it's on back order. Does anyone know what the wait time is?

Best bet is to contact @Bobby directly. Email will usually be the fastest response. It is very hard to quote accurate lead times for back orders right now with volatility in the marketplace. Even from domestic suppliers it is quite unstable so hopefully it won't be back ordered for very long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom