Suggestion New forum for "advanced" classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I think we need a thread on recreational diving classes that is for people that want to learn about AOW, different specialties, rescue class and so forth. the only thread for advanced classes is the tec forum.

in my opion you can list all the specailtys under advanced. and if you go adding to many different forums you just going to cludder the page and make things harder to find if you have one forum you can find it all in one place

When I first got back into diving, I took the classes that I considered, "The Basics." The basics are, OW, AOW, Nitrox and Rescue. These classes teach diving basics to new divers, and therefore, I think discussion of these classes belong in the Basic Scuba Discussion forum.

IMHO

Since most certifying agencies provide some form of information on their class break-downs on their websites (PADI, SSI, etc.) there shouldn't be a need.

A better option would be to post a sticky with the break-downs/requirements to meet and/or links to the class break-downs offered by each certifying agency. This way those who are new to diving, continuing education, or simply interested can see the course continuums from each agency. Sort of allows Scubaboard to be a one-stop information center for site members and guests.

diverdown247:
Since most certifying agencies provide some form of information on their class break-downs on their websites (PADI, SSI, etc.) there shouldn't be a need.

A better option would be to post a sticky with the break-downs/requirements to meet and/or links to the class break-downs offered by each certifying agency. This way those who are new to diving, continuing education, or simply interested can see the course continuums from each agency. Sort of allows Scubaboard to be a one-stop information center for site members and guests.
Knowing the minimum requirements from the agency doesn't tell you much. Different instructors can teach this class very differently ... even within the same agency.

You need to pay attention to how the class is marketed.

If it's a shop or instructor who markets it as an "experience" course ... or if they are encouraging you to go directly from OW to AOW ... then don't expect much more than a handful of dives with an instructor under the specified conditions (i.e. night, deep, nav, etc.). There generally won't be much in terms of learning except what you manage to pick up on your own from reading the accompanying student materials. For the dives, you'll end up following the instructor around without really understanding what you are doing or why. For the most part, all they're "required" to do is take you diving.

If it's billed as a "skills" course ... especially with an instructor who tells you to get some dives in between OW and AOW ... then there will most likely be more academics and skills practice involved. This will either be integrated into the "minimum" required stuff from the agency, or added to it.

My class focuses on what I consider "core" skills ... dive planning, gas management, buddy skills, buoyancy control, and navigation skills. FWIW - you could meet the requirements of almost any agency for AOW without even mentioning some of these things.

Bottom line ... you need to be a smart consumer and find out in advance what the instructor plans to teach you before signing up for the class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We do not need another forum.

Discuss 'advanced' courses to your heart's content in the forums that currently exist.

(Like Rick said, most of the content of such courses are basic skills that every diver should eventually be capable of using in whatever diving they do...such as rescue, peak bouyancy, navigation, or advanced nitrox)

:)

I think "Basic Scuba" could be essentially equated with "recreational scuba" and is intended to contrast with the technical diving areas. Use of the search engine should enable somebody to pull up threads pertaining to whatever particular recreational scuba course they're curious about. No new forum needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom