New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It can join this one.

1695070035972.png

Is that another Kilo or Lada? The sail is too big for a Tango.
Another Kilo, like the one with holes you posted.

Probably not good for these British boats to pull this off frequently.

If as suggested in the article that was after a six-month deterrence patrol, that's patently insane - the normal length for a USN deterrence patrol is 70 to 90 days, with USS Pennsylvania (SSBN-735) holding the record for the longest one at 140 days. And also from the article, it seems like five-month patrols may be routine for British SSBNs.

Well this sub is probably going to scrap.

If I had to guess, it got hit in the bow and the midships hole is right about where one would typically expect the battery compartment to be on a diesel-electric boat, so I'm thinking battery explosion after the resulting fire. Even if it wasn't a total constructive loss, I don't think the yard at Sevastopol is capable of doing that level of work.

Down in the comments someone actually asked if the damage to the Kilo was worse than USS Connecticut. Um, Connecticut's pressure hull wasn't breached and it crossed the Pacific under its own power. That Kilo? There's an auto repair guide meme I'd post, but the language would be inappropriate for this forum.

If as suggested in the article that was after a six-month deterrence patrol, that's patently insane - the normal length for a USN deterrence patrol is 70 to 90 days, with USS Pennsylvania (SSBN-735) holding the record for the longest one at 140 days. And also from the article, it seems like five-month patrols may be routine for British SSBNs.
I like to keep up with the news of the British fleet. For the last 20 years I have seen and read throughout that time how their defense budget and lack of crew have brought down their readiness and mobility. The fact that the UKs entire nuclear doctrine and response sits on 4 vessels is alarming. The crew will grow complacent, morale drags, equipment starts to fail, and the condition of the boat deteriorates. Imagine on the return trip home a day out from Port and you get the order to launch the birds after six months at sea and the sub is in that condition. Now she'll sit in dock for a year and 25% of the UKs strike capabilities are gone with it.
If I had to guess, it got hit in the bow and the midships hole is right about where one would typically expect the battery compartment to be on a diesel-electric boat, so I'm thinking battery explosion after the resulting fire. Even if it wasn't a total constructive loss, I don't think the yard at Sevastopol is capable of doing that level of work.

Down in the comments someone actually asked if the damage to the Kilo was worse than USS Connecticut. Um, Connecticut's pressure hull wasn't breached and it crossed the Pacific under its own power. That Kilo? There's an auto repair guide meme I'd post, but the language would be inappropriate for this forum.
There's not a drydock left on the Black Sea that repair her. She'll need a floating drydock and a tow to Murmansk or St. Petersburg to make that journey.

I like to keep up with the news of the British fleet. For the last 20 years I have seen and read throughout that time how their defense budget and lack of crew have brought down their readiness and mobility. The fact that the UKs entire nuclear doctrine and response sits on 4 vessels is alarming. The crew will grow complacent, morale drags, equipment starts to fail, and the condition of the boat deteriorates. Imagine on the return trip home a day out from Port and you get the order to launch the birds after six months at sea and the sub is in that condition. Now she'll sit in dock for a year and 25% of the UKs strike capabilities are gone with it.

There's not a drydock left on the Black Sea that repair her. She'll need a floating drydock and a tow to Murmansk or St. Petersburg to make that journey.
Four "bombers," as the RN calls them, is what they had to work with starting in the late 1960s with the old R-class; they did still have the Avro Vulcans and smaller strike aircraft but those were downgraded to a tactical nuclear role with the WE.177 nuclear bomb. They wanted to build a fifth R-class to guarantee one boat would be on station at all times, but the budget wasn't there at the time. As it was though, they ran eight-week patrols with the R-class. In theory, four boats should still be enough to maintain one on station, one in overhaul, and two at the pier or on workups; it sounds like the maintenance side is slipping and the overhaul periods are going way over schedule. Alternatively, with the regular vodka-induced threats of nuclear strikes, they might be trying to keep two boats on patrol at all times.

I believe that the RN at least used to have two crews for each boat like our boomers have ("Port" and "Starboard" rather than "Blue" and "Gold"); I'm not sure if they still do. If their patrols are going on for five or six months, it sounds like they might not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom