New Exposure Protection for God's Pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thumbsplitter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

My wife and I are diving God's Pocket in June, and I'm not sure how crazy to go with exposure protection. We get cold pretty easily and we've never dived in water this consistently cold (I've been in thermoclines < 40F, but it was easy to warm up by moving above them).

We are thinking of getting the DUI XM450 jumpsuit, which is supposed to be good for 28-45F. I'm also not sure about the hood. DUI sells a (wet) 11mm and a 4mm.

Thoughts from those of you who have experience diving these temps? Any other advice?

Thanks!

--Thumbsplitter

I haven't dove as far north as Port Hardy, but up around the Campbell River area (and south) is in the 8C range (46F)

If you get cold easily, take the 11mm hood. I personally use a really beat up 5mm hood for diving out there, and use a 9mm for 1-6C diving (33-44F) with everything else being the same. But I'm not one to get cold easily.

_R

Hi Thumbsplitter -

This is Kathy Long with DUI. I came across your post. First off have a fabulous dive trip!!!

DUI has a rental center out at Dutch Springs which may be close enough to you to take advantage of. You can find more information about the centers at DUI DRYSUIT RENTAL CENTERS - be warm while scuba diving . They do have Xm450's available. These are nice and toasty.

Hope this was helpful. Again have a wonderful trip!!!

That or a similar undergarment should be OK. Drygloves would be a positive especially for photography. Go for a thicker hood, 5mm minimum, 4/7mm better, 10-11mm if it fits all the better. Some people step up to heated vests and such, but that's a significant expense if you aren't going to use it on a routine basis.
In June you may have some top side warming opportunities. The shuttle does have a cabin you can get out of the wind and rain but it's pretty basic.

I have the DUI XM 450 and it is wonderful. I get cold really easily but I've never been cold with the XM 450. I just dove 36F on Saturday and was just fine. I would go for the thicker hood. I have a Waterproof 10mm hood that is really great. It is noticeably warmer than my DUI 7mm hood and seems to be constructed better. But for the west coast I just use my 7mm hood

We were up in Browning Pass in October 2016. All had 7mm hoods or thicker. I was fine in my 7mm Dui. The wife had a 10/11mm Santi hood.

All of us were in drygloves. I think it's a must have. All of us were in Drysuits. I was happy with my TLS.
I wore my heater vest but didn't turn it on. I was warm enough in the Dui 450 equivalent. I had the 4th element artic and my wife had the Halo.

Water temp was around 50-52F.

The diving was spectacular. I can't wait to go back.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It seems that the thicker hood and heavy-duty insulation wouldn't be overkill, which is what I was concerned about. I'll post a reply when we return and let you know if we were warm enough!

Thanks again,

--Thumbsplitter

Thanks to everyone who replied. It seems that the thicker hood and heavy-duty insulation wouldn't be overkill, which is what I was concerned about. I'll post a reply when we return and let you know if we were warm enough!

Thanks again,

You can't overdress for Port Hardy. On a Canada scale of cold it's not super cold but I always thought that it was colder than everything I've done that was south on the island. In hindsight I think it's even colder than the dives I have done out of Prince Rupert, which is further north.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom