New Equipment Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakajd

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all, I'm about to start instructor training and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on new equipment. Most importantly the regulator, octopus, bc, and dive computer. I'm not trying to break the bank but realize you get what you pay for. One regulator I've been looking at is the Aqualung Titan LX and a Calypso/Titan Octopus. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Why not wait until you are an instructor annd then purchase what you need from the LDS that you may teach for. You may also get the gear at a lower cost at that time.
If going independent then it does not matter at all.As long as it can be serviced locally.

so you have averaged max 2-ish dives per year for over a decade and now you are starting instructor training and need to buy gear?

a little more info than what your current profile shows would go a long ways towards making this a viable thread.

Halemano; good catch..I did not notice the limited # of dives he has..He really needs to forget about any type of leadership course now and go diving.Maybe even get a refresher if he has not dove in a while before even going for advance ow..At 2 dives a year over the time span of a decade is not someone who should think about being an instructor.

Alright I was certified when I was thirteen went diving as much as I could as a kid. Then went to college for 5 years and have not been since diving in 4 years so I don't have personal equipment. The instructor school I'm going to has a refresher course and the instructor training is the last part of the program. I need to purchase my own equipment for the school. Sorry for not giving enough information, I just wanted to know if anyone had suggestions for new equipment. I can purchase the equipment from the school when I get there but I was hoping on buying some of it from my hometown where I think I would be able to pay less.

What is your budget?

I like Atomic regs due to their quality and longer service intervals but they may not be in your budget range as new entry level reg/octo combinations start around $600 and go up depending on the discounts you can get. Hog regs get a lot of votes for being cheap, accessible and they work well. Their bodies are very solid and can take some abuse as well. You can probably find a reg/octo set new for around $350. Only small rub is they are DIN only and tend to stick out quite a bit with a yoke adapter.

For a BC, hard to move past the Zeagle line as they pretty have something for everyone at a variety of price levels. A BPW is always an option as well.

Dive computer there are lots to choose from and depends on if you like console or wrist as well as your budget.

I too would recomened Atomic Reg's they are great breathing and reliable and there required service is less than others. Seeing as your going for an instructor one could only assume you be doing a lot of diving and gear would be getting used.

I guess would also recomend a Backplate/Wing, this way if you start doubles (Not sure if required of instructor) You only need to buy an extra wing not a whole new set-up. If your looking to save money keep an eye on the classifieds and pick up the gear used.

Samething would be for exposure protection a decent drysuit. I know all my instructors were always in Drysuit/Doubles with Pony bottle. Even the DM's were in this configuration not sure if this was choice or required. If this is required then the above is the way I think you would want to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom