New drysuit; small wet spot. Should I worry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got a new TLS350 and have dove it 3 times now. Each time, I've worn a cotton T-shirt, shorts, and socks (yes yes I know cotton is a no-no) underneath a fleece undergarment (DUI actionwear 300) and had the suit on for considerable time in and out of the water (several hours) on comfortable days (50-55 deg water temps, 50-60 deg air temps).

So far, each time I've climbed out of the suit, I've found a small wet spot in my T-shirt around the small of my back. The spot is about the size of a large orange (3-4in in diameter) and is only very slightly wet (can't wring any water out, only feels damp to touch). None of the fleece appears to be noticeably wet or damp, nor does any of my other cotton-wear.

I understand that cotton is not recommended, and would like to find something different to wear. But for now, I'm just wearing a T-shirt and shorts because I want to be able to put the suit on in public without being indecent :wink: . Is this wet spot something to be concerned about (i.e. leak in the suit)? Seals were trimmed by LDS and fit snuggly, so I don't think it's that. Is this consistent with sweat (I hope so)?
This is the first drysuit that I've dove other than a rental that I used for the drysuit class that left a much larger, though similarly located wet spot. It's also possible that I may have been overly aggressive with the manual dump (still trying to get hang on things).

Also, suggestions for something lightweight and t-shirt-like to wear underneath undergarments would be welcome. (I don't really want something that looks like a bike-racing shirt :p).

I would bet my $$$ that it's sweat, especially since other drysuits are creating the same spot on your back, and the wet spot's small. But . . . . . . if you think it's a slooooow leak, you might want to bring your neck seal down a little bit. If it's high up on your neck, your hair might get caught.

And ditch the cotton. Get Under Armour underneath that fleece, or something else that wicks away the moisture. (Sorry, it looks like bike racing attire, but it's the "right tool for the job.")

Mike

The wet spot sounds like sweat to me. The middle of your back is not a common area for a hole.

For somthing under the DUI undergarment, try backpacking underwear. Go to REI or some similar type of store and locate a good inner layer of long underwear. Somthing that wicks away moisture from your skin and also provides good thermal protection would be appropriate, just wear that as the first layer against your skin with the DUI garment as the outer layer of insulation. When choosing underwear look for somthing that is close fitting, and does not have a turtle neck since that would interfere with the dry suit neck seal.

Mark Vlahos

Polypropolene underwear makes a good first layer. It's very thin and wicks moisture away from the skin. I use it cross country skiing where you may find yourself alternating between being very active and just standing around - a situation where sweat on your skin would be a very bad thing to have.

If it was a hole there would be more than a small spot. Get the under armour. That stuff is the ticket.

Seems if it were a leak, you'd have a trail to the small of your back from a wrist, neck, etc. I am very quick to sweat at the small of my back. When I wear Under Armor t-shirts, it happens very quick and I feel sweat running down my back quickly. It doesn't seem to wick much for me. It is so hydrophobic it doesn't seem to absorb the sweat to wick it away. I am not a big Under Armor fan, but maybe I haven't bought the right styles.

I have recently gotten some Craft base layer shirts (short and long) for bike riding. I wear them under my jersey. I go tired of sweat running down my back and into my shorts and ...well that is graphic enough...btw, SierraTradingPost was carrying some Craft for a reasonable price...it tends to be pricey at the bike stores.

Ok thanks. I'm just glad to hear it's not likely to be a leak.

I'll have to look into under armour. It looks like, from their website, they have looser-fitting shirts too that are more like T-shirts. What do you recommend for the lower-half? some sort of polypro shorts/long johns and ditch the cotton boxers? What about swim-trunks?

rhlee:
Ok thanks. I'm just glad to hear it's not likely to be a leak.

I'll have to look into under armour. It looks like, from their website, they have looser-fitting shirts too that are more like T-shirts. What do you recommend for the lower-half? some sort of polypro shorts/long johns and ditch the cotton boxers? What about swim-trunks?

Lower half under armour would also work. You don't have to use the brand name under armour, there are other manufacturers, I know nike makes a set. You just want the wicking feature next to your skin.

I wear speedo bike shorts. I picked em up on sale at dick's for about 15 bucks I think. I was also wearing cotton t and boxers for same reason as you. Did not want to scare anyone:D .I had a damp spot around the waist. I thought maybe my relief zipper had developed a leak. Switched to the speedos and no t and it went away. I'm going to get a set of underarmour tho when I get back from fla. Thinking of getting the cold gear type since it should be on sale after the next couple weeks eyebrow and I'll still be diving dry for another month or two.

Key Largo in 7 days:D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom