New Drysuit, First Dive Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NC Air Hog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well I broke down and got myself a Brand new, custom sized HOG Sport Drysuit. I took it out for the first time today, and here are my thoughts:

Dive Conditions:
- 43 degree water temp
- 32 degree air temp
- 60 ft Max Depth
- Fresh Water

Gear:
- HOG Sport Drysuit
- HOG SSu1 Undergarment
- Waterproof B5 Marine Over Boot
- Dive Rite XT Fins
- My standard Zeagle Backplate attached to a 911 Bladder (awesome!!)
- Steel Hp 100
- 7/5 hood
- 3mm gloves

Dive itself:
- 2 dives, each 45 minutes

As with any new piece of gear, I was overly excited to get it in the water and start putting it through it's paces. The first thing that I noticed about the suit itself was how easy it was to put on (don, for you technical types). The undergarment was very warm while we stood around joking before the dive. The front zip entry allowed me to put everything on by myself which was very nice. I am using standard latex seals and nothing fancy otherwise. When we entered the water, I noticed the familiar squeeze of the suit and as went deeper and deeper. The SSU1 undergarment prevented any pinching that can ruin your day. I keep as little air in my suit as possible during dives so the suit was crushing down as hard as it could. There was ZERO discomfort in the water. I mean ZERO. Even thought the SSU1 is suggested to be used in 55 degree water and above, the 43 degree temp was still extremely comfortable. The B5 boot has a thick neoprene top which kept my feet adequately warm. The only items I had on my feet were my white gym sock, nylon sock from the suit and the B5 itself. Going back again, I would add a wool layer to the feet for added warmth. The Xt Fins did GREAT as always. I am used to the shorter HOG fins, so getting familiar with the longer blade of the Xt is a fun process. I noticed that the power generated out of the slightest kick was more than I expected. Getting through the water in absolutely no problem.

Exiting the water is always the moment of truth for me in relation to a drysuit. I was completely dry after the dive. Not a single leak could be found. The seals were perfect, the undergarment was perfect, the fins were perfect, my feet were chilled and the water was clearish. It was an awesome day in the water and I cannot wait to do it again. The best part is that all of us were safe and made it back with no issues.

As usual, the thread is useless without photos....

IMG_5281.jpg

Sounds like a nice suit, something I'd like to check out. But don't know any dealers locally.

Is this the HOG drysuit or the Edge Sport drysuit?

Is this the HOG drysuit or the Edge Sport drysuit?

This is the HOG Sport suit which is formerly known as the EDGE suit.

---------- Post added February 7th, 2015 at 06:33 PM ----------

The HOG Tech dry suit is the former HOG Predator suit but now comes standard with two pockets, zipper or velcro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom