New divers that have been off a few months need a dive site.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlwest63

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We got our cert last year and have dove about 15 times. We have not dove in a few months and are wanting to get wet again. We are going to go to the pool fist and practice our skills but what spring would be good around central Florida to go to?

The wife is a little nervous about diving without the instructor that trained us. We went to St.thomas last year and dove and had a pretty bad experience with current so I think she is a little scared. We dove after that but only once. Thanks for the input. :)
Jim

Blue Grotto - for OW cert, you are restricted to 60 feet, and the vis is AWESOME! It is right outside Williston, and Devil's Den is less than a mile up the road. They have facilities on the premises and fishing is NOT permitied (nothing to get tangled in) and therefore, all the wildlife is used to divers and are very friendly. Ginnie Springs is also popular, but tends to be crowded. Blue Grotto also has a "diving bell" at 30 feet that is constantly having fresh air pumped in (NOTE* YOU ARE STILL BREATHING COMPRESSED AIR IN THE BELL!). I enjoyed Blue Grotto. They have a filling station on the premises too!

Have you ever been to Alexander Springs? Max depth of around 25', the basin is pretty big, has 3 different boils, and a lot of shallower area around it to explore. Cost is CHEAP, at $5 per diver. Visibility is variable, depending on how many divers are there, and how much stuff they are stirring up, but can be 100' +, at the very best of times. Of course, I have been in 1' vis, but only cause I chose to hang out in the worst of it.

If you go on a summer weekend, arrive either early or late, as it tends to get filled up rather quickly. It is a rather long hike down from the parking lot to the spring area, so you might want to bring a cart for your gear. Also, I call it The Great Sandpit for a reason, but I will let you figure that one out on your own. :D

Thanks for the reply's I have not been to any of the spring other then Crystal river and Deleon for my cert dives.

How many divers are you talking about when you say busy? Are you bumping into people under water? Do they limit the number in the water at any one time?
Thanks again for the info.

Well, the worst that has ever happened to me there was getting walked on. No, really. At 25', someone walked across my head & my tanks.

Anyway, when I mentioned crowded, I meant crowded with people in general, not neccesarily divers. I have never seen it packed with divers. No limit on the # of divers in the park that I am aware of, they just stop letting people in when the parking lot gets full.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom