New Divers Planning a Trip to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually PADI call it "Advanced Open Water", but many people drop off the last two words. Perhaps a better word might have been "Progressive", but it's a bit late to change it now. Some agencies do have an "Advanced Diver" qualification, and that is a completely different kettle of fish. It REALLY is advanced, and is hard to get.

Yeah, I left the "Open Water" part out. But we need to get more dives regardless of training or not. This was a good side discussion though, has given us both good food for thought, as we plan the trip and future diving beyond it. We appreciate everyone's thoughts on it.

as peterbj7 mentioned your money will go further in a place like Honduras. After a friend and i crewed a 60ft private boat from Naples Florida to Rio Dulce Guatemala, we backpacked to an island near roatan called Utila. Two weeks of the best diving ive ever seen...its amazing there. So, my friend and i return home to naples, he sells all his life possessions(car laptop scooter etc.) to finance a move to this small island of paradise. Because he now lives on the island, we've set up a small little operation setting up divers on vacation packages. Check out Wolfpacktravel.webs.com if you're interested. I think belize is a great place, dont get me wrong. My friend and i got to use the octopus rig and do diving there on our way south to guatemala, and there were some great sights. But dollar for dollar, my bet is that you'd like the Utila diving more.

Have a great vacation either way bud!

Why Belize over Cozumel?
I have not had the pleasure of diving Belize yet but I have been to Cozumel many times.
It is world class diving and they have packages that are half of what you are planning to spend on your trip.
I can't imagine the diving to be a lot better than coz, it's not that far.
For those that have been to both places, can you give some comparison of the two?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom