New divers heading to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McAllyn

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I got our OW certs late last summer, but life got in the way before we could schedule any trips. We've since settled down again and scheduled a trip to Roatan in September.

We're taking a refresher course next month and currently doing pool work concentrating on basic skills and buoyancy.

What I'd like to know is if there is any info out there on what to expect or what to do at the resort? Obviously, we've never been part of a dive trip, so the expected behaviours will be new to us, and we want to avoid any irksome faux pas or breach of etiquette. I've read the Scuba Snobs books, and while I understand the humour, I also realize that there's underlying truth to many of the topics.

Thanks in advance for any info or tips you feel like sharing!

Will

We're going to Anthony's Key. It was recommended to us by one of our LDS back in Denver.

Congrats on your first dive trip! You'll have a lot of fun. I think it's great you're doing a refresher ahead of time & asking questions here. I haven't been to Anthony's, but I have been diving on Roatan & it's great. Side note: Like with all mosquito-friendly islands, remember to bring bug spray & wear it religiously.

A lot of what you need to think about is common courtesy. Don't be late to set-up; no one likes to have to wait for someone. Don't strew your stuff everywhere. Make sure you bring enough cash to tip your crew. Be nice to the other divers & the crew. If you're a smoker, don't smoke on the boat; it's too small. If you feel ill & think you will throw up, do so away from others & in a place where it won't blow back onto the boat. Make sure you secure your stuff including the cup you're using to drink water; it's a bit annoying to have to turn the boat around to pick up something that flew over the side.

A few specifics to diving: Don't rinse your gear in the water set-up for cameras. Don't try to push ahead of everyone into the water, but also don't hold others up; take your turn. As you get out of your wet suit, allow the water caught inside to drain over the side of the boat instead of on the deck (who likes to have to walk through someone else's pee-tainted water?).

I personally like to go down to the shop the day I arrive & get everything set-up. Give them my c-cards, arrange my gear (I have my own, but this is true if you have your own or are renting), get an understanding of how the dives work (e.g., is there a guide, are there special dives I need to sign up for like night dives), etc. It makes it a lot easier for the crew & also puts me at ease so I can just stroll in the next morning to dive.

Happy diving!

AKR is a good first trip. They manage the process pretty well, pickup at the airport, get you checked in, assign a boat all week and gear storage/rinse tanks are just off the dock by the boats. If you're staying on the Key, there's a water taxi that runs all day/night back and forth for guests.

Most of their dives will be multi-level - I've done a lot of them just not with AKR. SB did an Invasion there a couple years ago so you might review that thread - lots of videos, member comments etc.

AKR has a nice fleet of boats. They completely brief on procedures the first day and at the dive sites.Otherwise the boats have dual ladders and most people giant stride off the dive platform to get in the water. Ask the DM to explain the process to you but basically the mistake most people make is to look down - don't. Instead when you're all ready to go, put your fins on, move to the edge, put one hand on your mask, pop a little air into your BC, jump outward while looking straight ahead (have to clear the tank as you go down), and usually I kick a little when I hit the water to slow my descent. I even jump with my video camera just making sure that my right hand is high so it doesn't "slap" the water but I've done it a few hundred times...

One not so obvious thing is don't crowd the ladder or be under it, people occasionally fall off the ladder or drop integrated weights while handing them up. Most dives they're going to put a line out in the water with a buoy on it unless it's flat calm so just hang on that and wait your turn. I take my fins off and either hand/throw them up on the dive platform or slide them on my arm b4 boarding while waiting - work out what works best for you. Sometimes I hand my weights up also.
Don't rinse your gear in the water set-up for cameras.
You certainly won't make any new friends that way...

Later in the week the Dolphin Dive is within your skill set. It's 60' for 45mins. on a flat sandy bottom and they want you planted in the sand when the dolphins come by. I've done a lot of dives and it's still one of the best I've ever done - just for the encounter with the animals. And they don't have them overly trained either so it's not like Seaworld - ours actually decided some nearby weed was more interesting than we were the first 5mins. and they were allowed to play with it. Watch the videographer, he spots them inbound before anyone. After they settle down you get all the close encounter you could want for the next 1/2 hr. or so.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the guidance, folks! We're way beyond excited about this trip, which will be the first of many!

About the actual boat trip, does everyone on a particular boat all dive a single plan as a group with one DM, or does it break up into smaller groups? We really don't want our lack of experience limiting the enjoyment of others in the group.

Will

You will be diving with a group of about 6 and yes you will all dive together under the watchful eye of the divemaster. They have enough boats that they will more than likely pair you with other divers at your skill level. Anthony's Keys is a good outfit and they will take good care of you. The only negative I found with them was the fact that their rental gear was very worn....but it worked.

Mark

Thanks, Mark, that's pretty much what we heard about them, so we expect to be in good hands. As far as gear, we've collected what we consider to be pretty reasonable kits for ourselves for multiple reasons, a major one being reliability of rental gear regardless of destination.

Will

...We really don't want our lack of experience limiting the enjoyment of others in the group.

You never need to worry about this. We've all been there. Sometimes DMs have you go back to the boat on your own. However, even if a dive ends early due to your air consumption or something else on your end, it's not a problem. I'd had buddies & people in the group blow through their air even when I'm not 1/3 of the way through mine & I wasn't annoyed...because at one point, I was that diver with poor air consumption or the one calling the dive for whatever reason. There's no such thing as a bad dive unless someone gets hurt.

Have fun!

If you follow the DM, they tend to be back around the boat after 40 min or so. Then you hang out around the boat for another 15min. to "dive your tank" or reach the time limit mentioned in the briefing. They aren't sticklers about it, but they are on a schedule. It's also not considered "polite" to leave everyone else sitting around on the boat while you squeeze the last bit of air out of your tank. Their dive profiles are designed to allow those that use a bit more air to comfortably enjoy the dives while allowing others to extend their bottom time. No worries. Go have fun & dive safely. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom