New diver with a question about BCD made for women!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pat Go

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello from Minnesota!
i am new to Scubaboard! I am looking for anyone who has a ladies well fitting BCD! I need a new one and would like one that is made for a woman!

I'm a woman and I dive a Dive Rite Transpac. Its completely adjustable and can fit men, women, kids. There is actually a video on their site on how to fit it properly for a woman. Highly recommended!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

What you will like will depend on the problem you are trying to solve. I think a lot of busty women don't like the big flaps in front that come with jacket BCs. They're happier in back-inflates. Very small women may have trouble finding something that fits well, and may find a good solution in a backplate setup with an infinitely adjustable harness. What makes me happy may not make you happy . . . but I will say that I'm 5'4", 120 lbs, busty, and love my backplates!

The problem with BCDs fitting women is that most are marketed (by men) as "unisex" when in fact the designs make use of men's proportions. Men are longer from the shoulder to the waist, so when a woman puts on a "unisex" BCD and wraps the waist closure around her own waist, the thing is too long in the back and sides, making it ride up over the shoulders.

Certainly a system which is fitted by way of a harness to each diver as TSandM and Kryssa have mentioned is one solution (if you're familiar with the brand of hiking sandals called Chacos, it's the same concept). And there are also women's models of jacket-style and back-inflate BCDs available as well. A lot of women really love the Zeagle Zena which is not a harness system, but which is back-inflate and is designed specifically for women. If I were buying a new women's jacket-style BCD, I'd consider this one if it were available locally without importing it myself (which is not the case, unfortunately).

Last edited:
Have a look at Scubapro "LadyHawk", the few woman in our diving community like them a lot. Great product.

I'm afraid that most jacket BCs don't fit anyone well, men or women, and the big problems with them are not gender-specific. Try a backplate/wing set up in a dive situation (trying BCs on in the store tells you almost nothing about their performance in the water) and see how that works for you. The differences between 'mens' and 'womens' jack BCs are mostly there for sales purposes IMO. Of course the sellers of these items will vehemently deny that.

Think about this; you are trying to attach a large metal cylinder to your back. The metal (or hard plastic) plate provides you with a nice flat mounting surface and spreads out the point of contact between your back and the tank. Then you want as little clutter as possible in front of you; you can't really look down at your chest because the mask limits your view, so a nice clean webbing strap harness helps you to easily attach/remove/find items without feeling through a lot of extra clips, padding, straps, etc...

There are some soft BCs now that have a fairly minimal amount of clutter, so if you're not interested in the backplate idea, look for one of those. The zeagle express tech comes up a lot, people seem to like it.

I recently bought the ladyhawk. I used a rental ladyhawk on one of my dives and I really like it. I like the shoulder and back of the BC which are well padded and feels comfortable and snug. I tried the Zeagle Zena, I didn't like that the shoulder strap did not have any padding and felt really hard on the shoulder. Carrying the heavy tank is already uncomfortable, I wanted a BCD that will feel comfortable when I'm the tank in and out of the water. I also like the ladyhawk because it had a cummerbund, some people find that this makes the BCD bulky but I feel a cummerbund provides better weight distribution and makes it easier to carry the tank.

I bought an Aqualung Diva when I first started diving. I'm still using it but I've always hated it.

A lot depends on your body shape. If you're busty, then a Diva would be fine. It has a sort of swimsuit front, making it very comfortable to wear. It's cut shorter than a unisex BC, so the integrated weights are a little higher than waist height. This offsets the buoyancy of a bigger bust.

I carry my weight in my bottom and thighs, and I have quite long legs, do on me the weight is too high. I use a weight belt now, which brings weight down on to my hips and gives me more balance. I've tuned it to suit, but it was frustrating for a long while.

Most 'girl' BCs tend to be shorter. The exception is probably the Zeagle Zena - they seem to have seen and solved this problem. I came very close to buying one, but found it hard to track down a Uk supplier.

Like a lot of ladies, I've just bought a Transpak and wing. Can't comment on that yet, haven't got it wet!

Another vote for BP/W. I have tried both jackets, and backinflates. Did not feel truly comfortable until I got my Halcyon Rig.
My main problem was that the jackets/vests were too long in the back and I ended up with the tank hitting my head.

Back
Top Bottom