New diver, unsure of what suit to pickup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottb27

Registered
Reaction score
In October I am going on a cruise to Nassau, St Thomas, & St Martin; then I know I am going on a liveaboard next August to Nassau. So I am thinking that it makes sense to get my own wetsuit since I will be taking two trips durring the same time of year to the same area. The only thing is I am not sure what suit to get. Durring Aug-Octoberit seems like a lot of places say you dont even need a wet suit, but I would like to get something as I dont know I would be comfortable some protection. So Im thinking a 3mm suit would be best, but should I go a full suit or a shorty? And is there a big difference in the brands?

Thanks for any information

Wetsuits are and always will be a very personal choice. It all depends on how you respond to temperature.

In 82-84F water, I wear a dive skin. In the same water, my wife wears a 3mm full. In 77-79F Cenotes, I wear a 3mm full with hood and booties. She wears a 5mm full with hood and booties.

If you're not sure, I'd say you're better off with slightly more protection than less. You can always vent some water through the suit if you're warm. If you're cold, you're just going to have a miserable dive.

I don't much like shorties. A full suit (even if it's a dive skin) offers at least some protection from noseeums.

My suggestion is to buy two suits. A dive skin and a 3-5mm full suit. Dive skins are inexpensive and if you need more thermal protection, theymake it easier to put on the neoprene.

Brands are also personal. All of our suits are Henderson (skins, 3mm full, 5mm full, and 5mm jackets), but there are certainly other reputable brands. If you're a "standard" size, then go online and find your best deal. If you're hard to fit, then you'd probably be best served by heading to your LDS and buying from them.

Hello Scott,

What is your tolerance for cold? Do you mind a slight chill?

I travel often and My gear includes a 3/2 full, a 2.5 shorty, a 5mm full with integ hood, and a drysuit. I'm 6'3 240ish and will dive Dry from 30 to 60f with varying undergarments, the 3/2 down to 67ish (California Summer), no wetsuit from about 80ish (Florida keys diving).

My worst diving experiences have been too much suit for the water temp, The bonus is that in warm water you can just take it off...

Experience tells me that there is alot of hype in wetsuits. "Oooo gold lining" and the like...

Do yourself a favor. Buy a nice hood and the best booties you can buy (depending on your fins of course) and spend 50-70 bux on a generic 3/2 full with the plan on throwing it away in 3-4 years of occasional use.

There are a couple things to look for in a wetsuit:
-Some type of seal at the leg and arm
-Extra layer or pad at the knee
-Pull string on the zipper
-Ykk zipper (the zip is where cheap suits fail)

Heres a 3/2 of the wear for a while then toss category from LP. But for the waters you describe Im thinking shorty or bathing suit.

Last edited:
I like the Bare 3/2 Velocity, it gives you the warmth you need with lots of movement. The Oceanic LavaCore is also really great becasue you don't have to add any weight, bc there is no buyancy.

As mentioned, it's all about how you handle cold. 3-5mm should be fine. You also have to consider where you might be diving in the future, pretty useless to buy a suit only for a trip.

Thanks for the info guys.

I think I have a slightly higher than normal ability to deal with cold, but Im not a huge fan of being extremly cold for extended periods of time.

I will probably be mostly a vacation diver in Florida and the Bahamas and maybe more but mostly warm. Do you think its best to go maybe a dive skin and a 5mm?

Also what is the difference between a 3mm and a 3/2 and a 5mm and a 5/3?

Thanks again

The fractional weights means core thickness/extremety thickness. A little extra warmth for the trunk.

Ultimately, your best bet is to look at the water temps you've dove in, what thermal protection you wore in those waters, how comfortable you were on those dives, and then compare that to the water temps you're talking about diving in.

And of course, you can add a hood and gloves for slightly colder water.

I actually wear a 3/2 full in the cenotes, not the 3mm that I wrote. Sloppiness on my part.

Back
Top Bottom