New Diver & trying to Buddy Up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubNeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey,

I didn't formally introduce myself before asking a bunch of questions about gear preferences... My name is Michael and I'm in the sunny state of Florida. I'm newly certified (under 10 dives) and trying to network around and find some buddies.

My shop was somewhat helpful and has tried to pass my number to a few other people (including one from my cert dives who I forgot to ask), but so far no dice. I even resulted to joining a local Facebook dive group (Vero Beach Scuba Club) and still haven't heard back from my post. Any other avenues I should try?

Hey, SubNeo! Does your shop have a club or regularly planned outings? Also, boat dives from the coast may introduce you to locals who dive, or the captain or divemasters may be able to hook you up with some people. Where are you in Florida?

Show up for the boat solo. Lots of people do that.

Show up for the boat solo. Lots of people do that.
I mean they threw in a "free boat trip" when I bought my equipment, but I was trying to hold on to it for a bit to actually go down with someone I didn't just meet... On a serious note, I wanted to practice equalizing a bit before I go down to 50 again. I know there are places off the coast that are 25-35 feet deep with things to see.

I'm not far from West Palm Beach FL. I did my cert dives at the Blue Heron Bridge and my checkout at Riviera Beach.

I mean they threw in a "free boat trip" when I bought my equipment, but I was trying to hold on to it for a bit to actually go down with someone I didn't just meet... On a serious note, I wanted to practice equalizing a bit before I go down to 50 again. I know there are places off the coast that are 25-35 feet deep with things to see.

I'm not far from West Palm Beach FL. I did my cert dives at the Blue Heron Bridge and my checkout at Riviera Beach.

You want to get dive buddies, you have to make a bit more effort.

You want to get dive buddies, you have to make a bit more effort.
Nono, that's not what I meant. One of the people from my class was on the boat with them 2w after, and they said they would try to reach him for me. I was trying to hold that slot for heading out with him possibly if he wanted to.

I'd hoped I could connect with some people around the area without having to keep hopping on a $100 boat, especially after budgeting for the equipment. There is so much to see around my area, and the shop kept telling me about all these artificial reefs right off the coast to check out. I figure once I meet a couple people, I'll have a growing contact list from occasional boating or such. Just wanted to know what kinds of ways people have connected with their buddies (aside from random boat encounters haha).

I met several people on a boat. SB. Instructors. Other buddies. FB groups.

Just putting your name out there and sitting back hoping buddies magically appear without any effort on your part isn’t the best. Treat it like looking for a job.

I would characterize it as nearly impossible for new divers to find regular buddies who share their interests, schedule, means, etc. It is one of several reasons I took up solo diving.

It is my observation that most people new to diving who have regular dive buddies, are diving with someone who was a close friend before they started diving.

I will also observe that many people develop friendships on vacation trips organized by an LDS (either liveaboards or trips with shore-based lodging and daily dive charters), because they end up meeting, diving, and socializing with other divers from their area.

@Eric Sedletzky

I must be the odd one out as I had several regular buddies from the start. Met one here right when I was certified. Still diving with him.

Nono, that's not what I meant. One of the people from my class was on the boat with them 2w after, and they said they would try to reach him for me. I was trying to hold that slot for heading out with him possibly if he wanted to.

I'd hoped I could connect with some people around the area without having to keep hopping on a $100 boat, especially after budgeting for the equipment. There is so much to see around my area, and the shop kept telling me about all these artificial reefs right off the coast to check out. I figure once I meet a couple people, I'll have a growing contact list from occasional boating or such. Just wanted to know what kinds of ways people have connected with their buddies (aside from random boat encounters haha).
Talk with Ryan from Aqui Watersports Lauderdale by the sea...he should be able to help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom