New Diver Saying Hi from the Bay Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crapwheresmyreg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wanted to introduce myself. I am finishing my open water course this weekend in Monterey and am signed up to do my AOW the following weekend. I can already see that this is going to become a very expensive addiction. Hopefully there are some other divers from Northern California on here.

Awesome nick.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Welcome to the underwater world!

So did you do this on your own or with someone else?

You will get 5 more dives in AOW so that is never a bad thing. Just if you have someone else that you are doing this with, maybe get some dives in together first before going on to AOW.

Welcome to the underwater world!

So did you do this on your own or with someone else?

You will get 5 more dives in AOW so that is never a bad thing. Just if you have someone else that you are doing this with, maybe get some dives in together first before going on to AOW.

I am doing this on my own, which is part of why I decided to do the AOW. I figured getting more group dives under my belt would be good and the extra instruction can't hurt. I know that even with the advanced course I am still a very green diver and don't want to push any limits. Hopefully I can find some local people to dive monterey with.

Welcome!

You're right in the midst of lots of "enablers" with your new scuba addiction.

Check out local dive clubs to find some mentors and dive buddies. Look around and see the kind of gear that the damned-near-every-weekend local divers use. Chances are it's NOT the gear that the local dive shops are trying to sell you. (There's a big difference between what they try to sell to tropical-only divers and what hard corps local cold water divers use.)

As many of us have found out the hard way, the best way to save money on dive gear is to buy your second set of gear first.

Back
Top Bottom