New diver - Regulator advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You just opened a can of worms, and they only thing you will get out of this thread is: Buy HOG.

IMO, there are better regs out there, but not worth my effort to explain, because the next person will get offended because the better regs is not HOG.

The HOG regulator is based on the Poseidon regulator design. I use Poseidon because they make a true oxygen compatible regulator. All the rest are simply Nitrox regulators. HOG and Poseidon are probably the best all-around that you'll find. Any environment ally sealed regulator will work in both cold and warm water. I take my Sherwood Blizzard to Hawaii every year and it's considered a cold water regulator.

That is a can of worms, especially considering I have used the same first stage for 12 years and second stage for 10 in temps ranging from ~48 to 83 and have never had a single problem. It isn't environmentally sealed or a super special "cold water reg". Most people here would call my reg garbage because it isn't HOG HOG HOG HOG. Lol. It's kinda like the Chevy Tahoe and Cadillac Escalade. Sometimes a lot of the difference is in a name.

Last edited:
(HOG are based on Apeks not Poseidon.)

As for what reg to recommend it would depend how cold is your cold.
50 and above can be handled by any regulator.
Low 40's you'd be best served by a diaphragm 1st stage.
Lower than that and especially in freshwater an environmentally sealed diaphragm 1st stage.

Metal 2nd stages (or ones with a lot of metal in their guts) do best in the cold.
Heat sinks also help.

Hello,

I am a new diver and would appreciate any advice for a regulator to buy that would be 100% functional in both cold and warm waters.

Thank you!
Scubapro Mk17/G260 fits your needs. The SubGear SG-1000 is a close 2nd!

Find one you like. Then see if you can find a dive shop to rent one to you a few times before buying.

You know I could say the same thing about Scubapro that people say about HOG, but I won't. Mainly because I don't own either. Having said that I own several sets of Apeks regs and love them. There, I didn't go all HOG s*!t and crazy silly buy buy buy HOG (I'm being sarcastic in case no one got it so don't take it personal). My regs are all sealed regs for the simple reason they are easier to keep clean there fore reducing the chances of any failures at depth. I did not buy then specifically for cold water even though they are for cold water. B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom