New Diver Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Ontario Diver
This is also a far reaching board with new divers, instructors, DMs, equipment gods, technical gurus, and one manical satirical song sadist.

I fit three of the last four (especially the last one), and will fit the instructor one in a month or so. Just have to work on your speell chacker OD...

You need to meet at least 2 people on this board... Texas Mike can get you hooked up with a GREAT local instructor, I am sure. The instructor is FAR more important than the agency. I have YET to be asked for my c-card in getting any air fills, or even diving on a boat. Heck, if they hardly ever ask to see it, who gives it out just can't be that important. I heartily reccomend that you do your studying and confined water exercises close to home. Who would want to study on their vacation anyway??? Then you can do the checkout dives in Coz... and some more after that!!!

The second person is Iguana Don (sometimes called "Iggy", or "Guano Don") who spends SOOOOOOOOOO much time down there that he has also become known as the "Lizzard of Coz". Go figure, and his work is STILL trying to find him. He keeps talking about being holed up in Colorado, but just where do you think he gets that tan??? You will recognise him easily by his gold lamae wetsuit...

As for songs, check out the Diver's Parodies Continued thread... and just for fun, find the Redneck Divers thread.

Fist of welcome to the board. As for the equipment thing, I go along with the rest...get a good mask, snorkle fins and maybe a diveskin. Rent/beg/borrow the rest until you have some experience.

Now to Coz..gang correct me if I am wrong because I have never dove there, but as I understand it all (or at least almost all)of the diving in Coz is drift diving. If that's the case then is it really a good place to do your OW certs or for that matter your first couple of dives? Buoyancy control is going to be a must and as all of the experienced divers will tell you, it's not the easiest thing for everyone to master. I would think that the Fla Keys would be a much better choice. The marine life is great there, the boat rides are short, there are plenty of good dive operations and the shallow reefs make great first dives. Not sure about from Tx but from here (NC) you can get $99 round trips fairs to Miami which make the trip fairly cheap. Save the Coz trip for later.

Welcome to ANOTHER Texas diver.

A few notes: The Flower Gardens is NOT a beginner dive spot! If you wish more info ask.

Doing your confined in Houston and OW cert in Coz is a fairly common idea, but on the flip side I agree with Herman. The Keys would be a better place to do OW certs.

Shop for your gear carefully, and don't just go to one place. Ask questions here and of your dive shop. If the salesman starts slamming someones gear read it as.... I don't carry it so I can't take any of your money if thats what you want and I will say anything to get you to buy from me.....

TexasMike is in Denton (North of Dallas). Dee would be a good contact in the Houston area. She can also tell you all about the the Neptune Divers/Texas Swamp Dive Team Club.

Best wishes to you both. Good luck, have fun, dive safe and often.

Tom

Hi and Welcome,

1. SSI has been good for me. I also have some NAUI training, which has been good for me. I have had two good instructors.
Talk with some of the Swamp Divers, They can point you in the direction of a good instructor.

2. I don't know about Cozumel. I got certified in Grand Bahama. Great place for newbie divers. Texas might be better than you think. Talk with some of the Swamp Divers.

3.Buy mask, fins, wetsuit, snorkel and weight belt. Everything else try as many different makes and models as you can before you buy. I think I tried 7 different regs and 6 different BC's. I thought I knew what I wanted when I first started. What I ended up buying after trying different brands, is a lot different than my original list! I am happy with my equipment, I don't "wonder" if something else would have been better. Talk with some of the Swamp Divers maybe they can show you their gear and tell you where they got it.

Good Luck, Happy Shopping and keep us posted! :)

Oh, Did I mention, You ought to talk with some of the Swamp Divers!:D

Our plan is to do the classroom and confined water stuff here in Houston, and then go someplace else (like Cozumel) for final certification. I'll look into the keys. I want our first real open water experience to be a positive one, particularly for my wife.

As for the Texas Swamp Divers, how do I contact them?

Glad to have you here. Whatever you decide on has to be the right thing for you. You have gotten some really good advise allready, so I won't even try that.

As for contacting the Swamp Divers, try this

http://communities.msn.com/TexasSwampDivers

Or just hang around for a day or two and they will appear. (probably sooner than that)

Later, Hawk.

Originally posted by scuba-sass
From one Newbie to Another!

For my $.02 worth, why go to one of the great dive places for OW Cert?

Welcome! I just recently joined this board and I agree it is a great place to meet and learn. I have to disagree with SS though about certifying in warm water - cold water diving is much tougher, what with all the extra weights you have to strap on and maybe I am wussy but my idea of fun is not to tire out before I even hit the h2o... all additional stressers a beginner does not need.

Another reason to certify somewhere with great viz is, the first time you are in OW you will be nervous, but if you can see the amazing marine life it reminds you why you did this in the first place, and for me, it helped me to relax considerably that I was in a beautiful setting, and of course once you've gotten the certification out of the way your first few recreational dives will be great fun!

Go for it!

V.

To contact them just click your fin heels together three times and say "I wish I were a Bottle Fish" "I wish I were a Bottle Fish" "I wish I were a Bottle Fish"!!!

Bottle fish are a Texas Swamp Diver's favorite thing to see.

Hi again Maw,

Welcome to Scuba Diving, Scuba Board, and all other things Scuba from The Texas Swamp Divers. Our principal contact in your area is Dee. I'm sure she wouldn't mind you dropping her a private message (find a post of hers and click on the button) and ask away. She and her hubby (beast) are two fine people in your area. I grew up in Houston, but I now live North of Dallas, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be of much assistance.

Good luck,

And after you get certified come dive with us,

Tom

Back
Top Bottom