New diver - questions and thoughts on regulator setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really can't believe I'm saying this but the standard recreational reg set up is not a padi set up. It is IMO a sub optimal set up when compared to one where primary donate is the preferred method. However it is common to every agency except gue and utd. As is the jacket bc. This is due to decades of manufacturers dictating what divers and shops should use. That has translated into instructors who are only familiar with this rig and see anything else as odd, scary, complicated, etc.
When it comes to regs, no one makes junk. They can't afford to with the hungry lawyers out there looking for people unwilling to be responsible for themselves.
Personally I only dive sealed regs. The term "cold water reg" is actually not correct. Environmentally sealed is the proper term. It not only reduces the chances of free flows but also keeps sand, silt, vegetation, critters, etc out of the internals making care and servicing easier. Most recreational use regs do not need annual servicing. Even every two years may be unnecessary for regs that see light use and are well cared for. An inspection, cleaning, and adjustment (maybe replace the lp seats in the seconds) may be all that's needed.
I also look for seconds that are equal in performance and use the same service kits. I don't want some cheap octo that doesn't breathe as well as my primary.
As for service, just because you can get a reg serviced locally does not mean it'll be done right. A number of on line dealers provide better, and sometimes faster service than a local shop. I have customers in Hawaii and Okinawa for example that send me regs for service.

for the Dive Gear Express sets, look at the "Streamlined OW" sets.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/streamlined-ow
Similar to the DIR sets, but you can always change the 40"/angle adapter over to a long hose if you decide to go there, but it's still infinitely better than the other short hose setups. They have started marketing these in the last 2-3 years, but many of us have been using it much longer when diving in the OW.

I really can't believe I'm saying this but the standard recreational reg set up is not a padi set up. It is IMO a sub optimal set up when compared to one where primary donate is the preferred method. However it is common to every agency except gue and utd. As is the jacket bc. This is due to decades of manufacturers dictating what divers and shops should use. That has translated into instructors who are only familiar with this rig and see anything else as odd, scary, complicated, etc.

This is pretty much exactly the way I see it too. I just call it the "PADI" set up because they are by far the biggest agency.

It seems like a lot of the tech divers lean toward the Hollis. Not sure why
Is it the cheapest and the most easily serviceable one, yet robust?

The SP packages is clearly the most expensive. Is it really worth the extra money?
No it is not. If you have to ask, it is not. I have done ice dives, cave dives, trimix dives using cheaper regs than that.
I do not know how well the regs you mention deliver air/gas. I have not compared. But they all do deliver gas.

Robust and time proven is not always synonymous to most comfortable, most modern, or most expensive.

Yes! A lot of those setups look great. Have never tried it, but the uder-arm reg hose with the angle adapter sure looks comfortable.

The big question for me is then WHICH setup to buy. They're all fairly closely priced

1 - Hollis from DGX
2 - Dive Rite from DGX
3 - Zeagle from DGX
4 - Apeks from deepstop.de

I'm going to google and read reviews to see if there is any significance between them. I know that several people in this thread wrote that they don't love the Hollis, but not sure why.

Just had a look at that link you shared. The package with the XTX 50 sure has nice pricing. I did notice that these are specifically cold-water rigs. Is there any reason you chose that?

I also have couple of those non-environemtnal sealed Apeks 1st stages(US1 and US4) as well. Dirt, especially salt, do build up inside it if it was not being cleaned thoroughly.
Internally they(DS4 and US4) are the same except the DS4 has a membrane to protect the big spring from outside.
I have seen operators and divers using the US4 for warm water diving. So if you want to save some money then US4 is fine with me.
By Apeks defintion, cold water means below 10C.

---------- Post added October 31st, 2015 at 09:53 AM ----------

1 - Hollis from DGX
2 - Dive Rite from DGX
3 - Zeagle from DGX
4 - Apeks from deepstop.de

I'm going to google and read reviews to see if there is any significance between them. I know that several people in this thread wrote that they don't love the Hollis, but not sure why.
You also need to find out which one is the easier to service internationally and locally.
If you have the inclination, learn how to do it yourself. It is NOT rocket science. I learnt it and never look back.

Good point. I'm a fairly technical guy, and like being hands on. So, learning to service my own regs makes sense. There's also something reassuring about understanding how they work, and knowing that I checked it all myself. (i.e. I don't skydive, but have heard packing your own chute is standard practice.)

Now, I just need to find a good deal on the Apeks. deepstop has a nice package that is DIN at an awesome price. Just e-mailed them to see if they can sell me a yoke version and to find out the shipping costs.

Good point. I'm a fairly technical guy, and like being hands on. So, learning to service my own regs makes sense. There's also something reassuring about understanding how they work, and knowing that I checked it all myself. (i.e. I don't skydive, but have heard packing your own chute is standard practice.)

Now, I just need to find a good deal on the Apeks. deepstop has a nice package that is DIN at an awesome price. Just e-mailed them to see if they can sell me a yoke version and to find out the shipping costs.

Check your PMs.

Back
Top Bottom