New diver question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kawika

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks...

I'll be completing my Open Water course this weekend & I just started looking over equipment online. My question deals with how equipment is broken down online. In class...we were given a "regulator/octopus" which including a 2 second stage regulators, a first stage, low pressure inflation tube & gauges (pressure, depth, compass, etc.). I've been contemplating the cost of purchasing a set for myself versus just renting the gear from a LDS for my first year or so. What I need to know is what exactly do you get when you purchase a regulator or an octopus? I've glanced through online stores like Leisure Pro & they have sections for each. I'm assuming that when you purchase a regulator...all it comes with is the first & second stage units...but what comes with the octopus? Is it just the first & second stage units for the secondary air? Does that mean I would have to purcahse the low pressure inflation & gauges separately or are they part of the basic octopus package? Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Kawika

So you're planning on buying life-support equipment on-line having never see the actual equipment let alone trying it out. You'll want to investigate whether you'll be getting a warranty on any purchases you make from LP and others. I'm thinking they're a third-party seller so the warranty may be void.

Do a search on the Board for online purchasing. There have been some less than satisfactory customers.

Buy it from your LDS. You'll most likely get good advice there and they will probably be servicing it later anyway. You'll most likely get to try it out first too.

Diverlady

Kawika,

Many, if not most, scuba retailers have an annual sale where they sell used equipment, rental equipment, and consignment equipment. Many high quality scuba regulators, if properly maintained, can last for many years.

You would be far better off purchasing a piece of gear that your local dive shop can and will service and maintain for you regularly. Purchasing used equipment from your LDS will both allow you to stretch dollars to make a more cost/efficient entry into diving, as well as establish a relationship with your LDS.

Consider working with your LDS before you make your INITIAL PURCHASES over the internet. There will be a time and a place for internet purchases. But that time and place is NOT your initial gear. To try before you buy, to ask questions and compare and contrast with the gear in your hands, your LDS is the place to start.

Hope you give it some consideration.

Doc

P.S. Another benefit to purchasing used equipment from your LDS is that it often comes as a set. Otherwise, a regulator (generally) comes with a first and second stage, and an octopus is sold separately with a second stage and hose. Gauges are also separate. Until you can write a short one page paper on which product you want to purchase and why you want to purchase it, including its benefits and liabilities and where it fits into the range of products sold on the market...assume that your ability to select gear requires additional experience. You are likely to obtain a more cost/effective initial set-up purchasing high-quality used equipment all in one package! :) YMMV.

OK...it looks like I wasn't clear enough with my question...what exactly do you get if & when you purchase an octopus or a regulator? Note that I did not say that I was planning to purchase either...nor do I wish to get into the long list of pros & cons of LDS versus online purchasing...money doesn't grow on trees down in our neck of Texas...so I have to wait awhile (probably 6 months to a year) to absorb the $1000+ we've already poured into our basic outfitting & course costs. I was simply confused by the methodology being used on online websites versus what we are taught/shown in class...that's all...

Thanks...

K

When you purchase a regulator, you get a first and second stage. For a regulator system, you will need to add an octopus, and SPG. You will also need a bottom timer and depth gauge, either as separate units, in a console, or as a computer.

This should have all been shown and explained during your classroom and pool training.

MD

Yep...I think the key being should...but I digress. Most of the issues were covered in the book in terms of what the unit consists of...I just wasn't sure how the terminology differed in the online shop arena. A lot of the shops just aren't very descriptive in terms of what actually comes with the package because I assume that they assume that most people know what comes in a regulator, octopus or gauge package. More or less how a car dealership assumes that most people know that if you buy a car...you know it comes with an engine, 4 tires, a battery, etc. However...for people new to the sport...it is best to ask for clarification as opposed to just assuming things. Anyhow...at our LDS we can rent a regulator for $17.50 per day...which I am assuming really means regulator "system" and not simply just a single regulator with a first & second stage...so it basically just adds to all of the confusion.

K

from those before me. Just to clarify a bit more....

When you purchase a regulator setup, here is what you need:

First stage - connects to the tank valve
Second stage, primary - connects to first stage via a low pressure hose

99.0% of the time the above are sold as a unit

Second stage, secondary/octopus - connects to first stage via a low pressure hose, sold with hose

SPG, Submersible Pressure Guage - connects to first stage via a high pressure hose, sold with hose

LP inflator hose - connects first stage to BC, sometimes it comes with the BC, check to make sure.

As stated by others, you will need some sort of depth guage and compass.

My recommendation would be an analog or digital depth guage. Get a habit created of learning to plan your dives/dive your plans with tables and guages before you get a computer.

I dive with a computer but still plan my dives and carry a slate with my plan when diving. Incase my computer fails, I have a watch, SPG and depth guage that are a backup.

If you don't mind going to Hillsboro, TX, I can't get you with my instructor/course director/LDS (yeah, I know, I'm in Colorado).

His rental/training gear is the same stuff as his personal gear.

From him I got my:

Aqualung Legend LX, first & second
Aqualung Octopus
SPG
Cochran Commander dive computer w/ compass
lp hose

for less than $100 more than dive shops sell the first and second for.

That sounds pretty good actually as I've heard good things about the Aqua Lung Legend series. As I've noted above...I'm still a bit strapped for cash at the moment...so I'll probably have to hold off for awhile in terms of purchasing my own BCD, Regulator system & dive computer. Do you have his email address, website address or physical address of his shop?

Thanks...

Kawika

I hope your bucks come in soon so you can buy your own equipment. I rented till I had a bad experiance with the rental gear. I think Diverlady has givin you some good advice, simple and to the point. I dont really have enough experiance yet to give you my 2 pesos. Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom